Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Coelogyne schilleriana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, May 22, 2017.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I got this a few months ago while it was dormant, so I can't take credit for the flowers. Growing it bright and intermediate in spot with good air movement. It's said to prone to rotting new growths/flowers, so I made sure no water was left in the new growths when watering.

Flowers are just shy of 2" wide and pretty long lasting. They've been open 3½ weeks so far and still look fine. Petal/sepals start a pale greenish-yellow color and steadily take on a golden hue.

Coelogyne schilleriana closeup (side).jpg Coelogyne schilleriana closeup.jpg Coelogyne schilleriana flowers.jpg Coelogyne schilleriana.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Pcolman, welcome to the forum.

I really like this species. My plant is much smaller and has not flowered yet. My fingers are crossed for next year.

3. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Very nice! I just acquired one earlier this Spring. It is growing, but probably won't bloom this year. Hope mine looks like yours someday.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Nicely grown! I find this one difficult.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

6. MikeInOz

MikeInOz Active Member

That's a very nice plant. I bought a flask last year and the word slow just doesn't describe them! Does it actually have roots established on the cork?

7. pcolman

No roots yet. I think this species behaves more like a warm growing Pleione than a Coelogyne. Pretty sure all of the previous year's roots die off. I would expect roots soon now.

8. pcolman

After taking a look after getting home, it has started putting out new roots.

9. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

Amazing And as Marni said very difficult to flower not mention to grow it further . Had as well maybe once or twice flowers and that's it... or never flower again or died after next season ...

10. pcolman

Yes, I've heard it can be difficult. I'll feel more confident if it's looking good a year from now.

11. KellyW

Pcolman, here is my unflowered little plant. It retained last year's roots and has a few growing (barely visible) on the new growth. Perhaps I didn't dry mine off enough this winter? Culture comments anyone?
    Coel schilleriana roots profile-900.jpg Coel schilleriana roots-900.jpg

12. pcolman

KellyW, your plant looks like its doing fine. I got mine while it was dormant and most of the roots looked dead to me, but it had just been imported (Popow Orchids) so maybe it does keep roots normally.

13. AnonYMouse

AnonYMouse aka Ree, the not-so-stealthy lurker

That lip is wild!

14. pcolman

Just an update on this one. Today the last flower wilted. They lasted 2 months - the photos were taken on May 17th. Longer than I expected.

15. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Two months! That is amazing for a Coelogyne.

16. pcolman

Yes, I was expecting more like 2-3 weeks.

17. MikeInOz

MikeInOz Active Member

Let us know if they last more than one season.. If they don't that would be a good clue on how to treat them.

18. KellyW

Thanks for the update.

19. pcolman

It appears that the past year of cultivation of this reportedly difficult species has been successful. Currently one growth has been in bloom for around 3 weeks, and two others are just starting to show buds. They should all be in bloom at the same time since the flowers lasted 2 months last year. There is an additional growth that I was sure was a goner, but is now growing again. Don't know if it will bloom. It originally grew to ¼" then stopped and appeared to dry up. Several weeks later a green tip resumed growth out of the end, so I guess it will be okay, though it might be runty. We'll see.

I did not give it a very dry rest, since I saw no sign that old roots dried up and at least some root growth appeared to continue during winter. I cut back on watering, but never went without watering for more than a few days. Bright light and plenty of air movement. Min winter night temps were around 60F with occasional dips into the high 50s.

I imagine I'll take photos towards the end of the month.

Chuck-NH likes this.
  20. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

That's great information! I stopped watering mine in November after the foliage dropped. I kept it dry, bright and cool. I was a bit worried as I too saw roots still trying to grow. I did give a little water, perhaps twice per month. Now I see new growths started and I will water more regularly, particularly once I see new roots initiating...since I killed the ones that were trying last fall.