Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Coelogyne pandurata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, May 1, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

This species can grow to a large size with 6" pseudobulbs and an unruly and rangy growth pattern that can send growths in all directions. I have this plant in a pot with a sturdy wire column in the center that I fill with material as the plant climbs the post. It is becoming quite heavy. The lip is the most ornamented and complex of all the Coelogynes I have, it has warts, ridges, spines, wavy margins and various colors. I suspect it offers a voluptuous sensorial feast for some insect in east Asia.

IMG_2179.JPG IMG_4423.JPG IMG_4438-001.JPG

Lauren B. likes this.
  2. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Wow! Striking flowers. I wish I had the space and climate for this type of Coelogyne.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great plant! I find the wire center idea very interesting. Have you used it on other things as well?

4. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Wow! That is stunning! And I love the wire center -- that certainly makes the flower presentation better as well.

5. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I use wire columns those plants that have long internodes and that need a sturdy support. I make all kind of baskets for my plants using wire. It all depends on the growth pattern of the plant, its weight when fully adult and how long I think it will be in that particular container.

6. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

great plant!

7. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Great specimen, fantastic chorus of blooms. Bravo!

8. Russell 7

Russell 7 New Member

Hi, I know this post is old but isn't it coelogyne burfordiense. I read that coelogyne pandurata flower lip is black, with white bumps. coelogyne burfordiense has a brownish yellow stain on the lip like the ones in the photo.

Marni likes this.
  9. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

I agree with Russell. Sadly Coel. Burfordiense has often been mistaken for Coel. pandurata in cultivation. The true species has compressed or flattened pseudobulbs and does not have the brownish warts on the lip. The hybrid has inherited swollen pseudobulbs and those differently coloured warts from Coel. asperata.

Reference: George, E. & J.-C. (2011) Les Coelogynes. Éditions Belin, Paris, France.

Marni likes this.