Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cochleanthes discolor

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Dale, Jul 25, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Dale

Dale New Member

Intermediate grower. This is a FBS from a selfing of 'Dorothy'. It needs to do better in the next couple of years or it's going in the compost pile. I like the colors, though.
    cochleanthesdiscolordorothyF1stack.jpg

2. lupot1812

lupot1812 New Member

This is a beautiful plant. Hard to get or find. Cochleanthes are on the top of my wish list.

3. Dale

Dale New Member

I just had a Cochleanthes viridisepala bloom. I didn't even photograph the ugly thing.

4. Kitty

Kitty AKA\Debby

I got rid of all my cochleanthes except for amazonica, they get to big. I had gotten a discolor at POE years ago from a couple from south america, I think her name is Nina and her husband didn't speak much english, a very handsome couple.

5. birdman

birdman Bite me

Try Colombian Orchid Imports

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Besides the fact that it is now Ixyophora viridisepala and I don't like the name, I really like this species. The single flowers are odd, but a small plant ringed with flowers is really charming. I do agree with your assessment of the discolor, not nearly as nicely shaped as Dorothy.

7. Dale

Dale New Member

I donno, Marni. I just went out and looked at it again. I don't think it's going make any difference how many times I kiss it; it's always gonna be a toad. The C. viridisepala, I mean.