Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

CO2 infusion

Discussion in 'Everything Else Orchid' started by Natureman, Nov 2, 2015.

1. Natureman

Natureman Active Member

Has anyone tried CO2 infusion with orchids? (Leave out the conundrum of CAM plants for this discussion)
    I'm thinking of going with a tank and valve system opposed to a generator. Any thoughts? On hardware, efficacy, ect.?

2. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

I tried the tank & valve thing a few years back. There was a solenoid that opened the valve on a timer, so that at specific flow meter settings, you got a specific concentration - 1500 ppm was supposed to be optimum - in the air.

I saw no difference in three months of experimenting, but I don't think the greenhouse was particularly "air tight", either..

3. leo

leo African orchids only :-)

I usually reach 1000 - 2000 ppm by just being inside breathing, but it doesn't last for long, since my greenhouse isn't air tight either (or the plants consume it, but I don't think so). If I was retired and could spend more time in the greenhouse during the day, CO2 levels would be just about right.

I have a friend who installed a gas heater in winter with the intention to elevate CO2 levels that way, but he got up to 5000-7000ppm very quickly by just trying to keep the temperature above 0°C.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Since I used to do CO2 injection with planted aquarium and I have most equipments needed (except the most expensive one, CO2 controller), I was going to try. But after reading scientific papers, I got discouraged. Yes, CO2 can initially increase the growth in most plants, but after a while they acclimate to the elevated CO2 level, and the growth slows down. So in other words, if you have some weak, recently imported orchids, it may be a nice strategy to get over the import acclimation process. But in a long run, they will need to go through acclimation again once you stop injecting, too.

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member