Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Climate tables

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by KellyW, Oct 18, 2013.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I've been playing around a little bit looking for good site specific weather information for species native locations. Here is one method I have played with.

This site can be found at: http://wcatlas.iwmi.org/Default.asp

You need to register but it is free and easy.

You will need latitude and longitude in degrees, minutes and seconds for your query. Once you do your query you will get a spread sheet like the one below.

Screen shot.jpg

Just for experimenting I used Dendrobium unicum to research. If you don't have coordinates for a species location there would be several ways to get that info. Here is one way:

Go on the Kew site and do a search for a species. Here is the link:
    http://apps.kew.org/wcsp/[email protected]@291181020130524583

When you do the search you should get a page that includes 3 green tabs. The one on the right is "Further Information". Click on it. On the resulting page is a category "Specimens, distribution and conservation". In that category click on GBIF. On the resulting page click on your species. One of the resulting options is a Google Earth location for a species record. Put your cursor on that location and the Lat/Long will be displayed in the lower right of the Google Earth image.

It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Of course you could always buy a Culture Sheet for the species if one is available.

Andreja Schulz and brn_thmbs like this.
  2. chicago chad

chicago chad Active Member

Thanks Kelly. I will certainly check it out.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Great information! Thanks.

Andreja Schulz likes this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

I love it!

5. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

Thank you!

looks great, but I just checked one of the close location of COELOGYNE LAWRENCEANA Kon Tum - it says days with frost all year round??? Midsummer with o.5 day per month, up to 3 days in winter per month... it is about 500-1000m high I think, not sure, but it cant be temp with frost every month... is it?

6. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmmm, good question Piotr. I had been omitting the frost category from the report so I hadn't noticed this before. After I read your post I ran a report for Coelogyne fimbriata and it also showed a fraction of a day of frost for each month. I looked at the site's Home page and it says the data are from 1961 to 1990. Over a period of 29 years I suppose it is possible for a few cold nights to give that skew to the results or it is an error or some flaw in the data summary software. Don't know. I do think the tables give a good picture of seasonal rainfall trends, temperature, and days of sunshine. Frost, maybe not so good :)