Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Chiloschista segawae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Uluwehi, Apr 9, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

'Tis the season. This is my first year blooming chiloschistas. I acquired 5 species in 2009 but that winter I didn't realise that they needed not only a dry rest they also needed a cooler temperatures to initiate flowering. Thanks to mini-catts (Peter Lin), this winter I moved my plants out to rest with my dormant nigrohirsute dendrobiums. They stayed dry (water every 1-2 weeks), bright (3000-4000fc), humid (80%rh+) and cool (min 7.2°C/45°F) from December until they began spiking a month ago.

When these are in active growth, I grow them warm (31.1°C/88°F max, 17.7°C/64°F), humid (80%rh+), with only moderate light c. 1500-2000fc. Because I grow under lights I water these twice daily.

I am sure that C. segawae can bloom better than this, but I am happy to see something for the first time. The flowers are tiny, only 1cm wide. I am ambivalent about whether I want to keep growing this species because it doesn't really get me excited, but my partner loves it, so I will continue to grow it for his enjoyment. In contrast, I have a gorgeous Chiloschista viridflava in bloom with larger flowers than segawae and I love it. Hopefully I'll have photos to share of that soon.
    5577513438_ced94047d0_z.jpg 5576927105_d2ff9b3ef1_z.jpg

2. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

Really beautifull orchid and photos!!

3. orchidkarma

orchidkarma Member

Lovely! :)

4. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Very nice. Looks great -- and you have to keep the significant other happy. :) I have long thought that having a supportive spouse or partner is key to successful orchid growing. At the very least they have to tolerate the obsession -- and heaven help you both if both are addicted. :) But I digress--very nice chiloschista.

5. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Very nice! It's not one I have in my leafless collection.

6. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Very nice! :clap:

I haven't had the courage to venture into the leafless Ang world. I admire yours.

7. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Thank you all for your kind feedback.

Breezy, I am sure you could grow this, especially if you shroud it in some of your magical Spanish moss. Just keep it 6-8" under your fluorescent bulbs and set it in a bright window in winter where the temps can drop to at least 55-58°F.

Reyna, you are so right! I am very fortunate to have a very supportive partner when it comes to orchids. He is also a plant person, which helps a lot!

8. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Happy plant and nice photos.