Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Chaubardiella pacuarensis, not Chysis bractescens

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by CoveLady, Sep 17, 2017.

1. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Hi all,

I purchased this plant from Marni in the spring. I potted it in a smallpot and have it hanging on rack with other small mounted plants. It is growing in light a little brighter than for a Paph. I was shocked when I noticed that it had a bloom developing. It is a first blooming and don't know if they usually bloom this young.

I have found little info on them but it seems they grow about 15" or so high with a fat upright sudobulb and bloom from the base as my baby is doing.

Thank you Marni, you have such great and beautiful plants. Does it develop additional growths and form a clump and do you keep it mounted or potted? Am I giving it enough light?

Attached Files:

Fereydoon likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Anita, I was trying to figure out if I had ever sold a Chysis because I only have 2 that are recently acquired. When I scrolled down to the picture, it all made sense. This is Chaubardiella pacuarensis. It is a Zygopetalum relative and it is a mature plant, a division of one I have had for many years. Congratulations on the blooming.

The light sounds about right. They grow intermediate to warm. You can grow them mounted or potted. If they are mounted they usually need daily water in warm weather. If potted, the medium can approach dryness between waterings but shouldn't remain dry for any extended period of time. It looks as if you have the medium just a bit too high on the plant. You should be able to just see where the roots emerge at the bask of the growth.

3. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Thank you Marni, I'll have to go and check the label on the plant, I don't know where I could've gotten that name. I can't see in the greenhouse now. This would explain why I thought that it would grow so tall, I was pretty sure I hadn't ordered a big plant.

Marni likes this.
  4. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Marni, I don't know how it happened, your labels correct but the label I use that I can enter when I have repotted or a plant has flowered is wrong. I don't know where my head was when I made it, it will be changed tomorrow. I will also look at the medium and lower it to where it needs to be. Thank you.

Marni likes this.
  5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Very nice!