Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ceratochilus sp.?

Discussion in 'Orchid Identification Section' started by Greeng, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Greeng

Greeng Micro Nut

That the right genus at least? Tried to trace the main stem in blue to help. That’s a single, pendant style specimen. I should prob mount it based on struggling roots in the current moss plug/potting... Wish I could give it what it really needs or get it to flower. Have had it over a year now and have been able to divide a smaller set of leaves and a root to start another... 0352AE76-74BE-4A00-A193-17210AB65A1B.jpeg ...

J E likes this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Without seeing a flower it is a bit difficult to pin down an identification. A year isn't really a long time to wait for a flower in the orchid world. Sometimes it takes patience.

Greeng likes this.
  3. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

You said that you were able to divide it. Some orchids stop flowering for a couple of years after you take a division. A lot of monopodial Vanda-related orchids (and it looks like you have one of those) need more light to flower than the bottom of most tanks gets. Growing orchids is all about experimenting ;)

4. Greeng

Greeng Micro Nut

Thanks, Marni and Raven. Beginning to appreciate both points of patience and experimentation. :D Just 2 months running my first “real” viv, definitely just starting to get the hang of misting, temp and lighting/positioning from orchid to orchid. Will try not to get too off topic in this thread, but I’m using a Skylight Tiny in this 12x12x18”, and my Lepanthes telipogoniflora at halfway down from the light (~<9”) is showing a little darkening/burning in the upper leaves; so I figured from that point up, the lighting was bright enough. It’s definitely too much for a “high light” Schoenorchis phitamii at ~5”. Maybe I’ll dial back the intensity 5-10%..? Once the viv “cycled” (do we call it that with viv’s like we do with aquariums?) and since I posted the original photo above, this mystery orchid did start sprouting roots at each leaf bunch— ~3/8” growth… maybe you guys talking about it woke it up..!:cool: Should I give it even more light?

5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

When moving a plant in to higher light, you want to do it in stages so it has a chance to adjust.

Greeng likes this.