Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ceratochilus biglandulosus

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, May 31, 2018.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This one seems more common than it used to be in cultivation, with pretty good reason. Really huge flower relative to plant size, up to 1½". The flowers last about a month. It's been flowering successively, but sadly by the time the new flower opens, the old one fades about a day later, so I haven't had a chance to take a photo with two flowers at once. This is the 4th flower of the season, and there's one more on the way.

Bright light, intermediate temps, relatively moist, though drying out a bit between waterings.

Ceratochilus biglandulosus.jpg Ceratochilus biglandulosus (side).jpg Ceratochilus biglandulosus closeup.jpg

GaryYG, RustyExotics and wpinnix like this.
  2. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This plant has been nearly continuously in bloom since early last spring. Flowers last longer now that the weather is cooler, at least a month and a half, and there's now a good overlap with the next flower, so it often has two flowers at once. It also sprouted a basal keiki.

I had to edit out a few "red streaks" out of the flowers. I always seem to have a good population of red predatory mites, don't know which species. They're much fast moving than the spider mites they feed upon (among other things), so in a focus stack like these they show up as red swirling lines.

Ceratochilus biglandulosus_01.08.19.jpg Ceratochilus biglandulosus flowers_01_01.08.19.jpg Ceratochilus biglandulosus flowers_02_01.08.19.jpg

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    DPfarr, Mikhail kujawa, Marni and 3 others like this.
  3. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

That is outstanding, both the photos and the two flowers. I need to get one of these again.

4. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Very nice! My kind of mini. Thank you for sharing.