Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya sheaths

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Selmo, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

I have read some cattleyas bloom soon after new growth matures and the sheath is formed (said to bloom on green sheaths) and others rest for several months before blooming (said to bloom on dried or brown sheaths). Is there a way to tell the difference between these types, other than time and watching to see if they bloom with green sheaths or if they rest and bloom later on brown/dried sheaths. And how do you tell if they are just resting and do not need to opened (sheaths) to prevent buds from rotting. Because usually if sheaths started turning brown or yellow, you need to open up the sheath to let moisture out to protect the buds, whether they are green or brown sheath type. ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223587.840419.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223630.549624.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223650.602011.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223673.185848.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223694.501196.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453223715.755005.jpg you can see some of the sheaths have the flower buds are on their way and should bloom soon ( first three pictures). And some look as if it may be awhile before they will bloom ( last three pictures), is this the only way to tell if they bloom on green or brown sheaths. And what is the rule on knowing if or when to open then sheath to keep the flower buds from rotting or should you just open all sheaths and eliminate the guessing all together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Kipper likes this.
  2. bob williams

bob williams Member Supporting Member

I'm not aware of buds forming in dried out sheaths. if you can feel buds in the sheaths it should be doing o.k. if the buds fill the sheath and look crowded thats the only time i would peal the sheath back a little. in thesecound and third picture i'd wait until the buds are all the way to the end of the sheath. but this is from limited experience. good luck, bob.

3. Selmo

Selmo Active Member

Thanks for the info Bob. I guess what I am most interested in is how to tell the difference between sheaths that are full of condensation inside due to day/night temperature change and sheaths that are just resting and will bloom later. Because they both seem to turn tan, brown, or yellow. The fourth picture shows a yellow sheath that I hope will start to swell with buds soon. But it looks as if it could be filling with moisture because of the color. It usually blooms in feb. or early march. The sixth picture shows, I believe, the more normal sheath coloration, as this one usually blooms around valentines day. Although it produced sheaths on maturing growths back in October. It is one that 'rests' (brown sheaths) before blooming. The first three pictures are ones that bloom in sheaths as they mature (green sheaths). Is observation the only way to tell if the plant will bloom on maturing sheaths or will 'rest', to bloom later? Or is the color change the sheath filling with moisture and rotting buds? Is there a key or a sign that one will know when it is time to peal back the sheath to let out the moisture, saving the buds. In these new pictures, the first shows a sheath that was cut so the moisture could escape saving the bud and in the second picture shows, I believe, a lost cause as I do not think that it will make it. Sheath stopped growing and maturing. ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453310520.581514.jpg ImageUploadedByOrchidsForum.com1453310544.126943.jpg