Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya maxima

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Nov 5, 2017.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from a slippertalk forum member in 2016. It is a good grower, but it skipped blooming last year, so this is the first time I see the flowers. I like it. I hope that it will make more flowers next year. I don't know too well about Cattleya, but this one seems to be taller than the other highland forms.

[​IMG]
    Cattleya maxima
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cattleya maxima
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cattleya maxima
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Cattleya maxima
    on Flickr

Sabinchen, Fereydoon and Steve B like this.
  2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Man I hate the other form of maxima. As far as labiate types, a couple spikes on a plant can't be beat!

3. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

Lovely

4. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Very beautiful and stunning pics!

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

A couple species of Cattleya are blooming in my place. Frequently, with Cattleya, their roots are tangled up in the growing area, so I don't feel like taking photos. But since I got the two morphs (tall and short, or lowland and upland forms) of C. maxima blooming simultaneously, I decided to take side-by-side photos. The flowers look similar, but I'm surprised to find that these two have completely different fragrance; the tall one is pleasant, but the short one is rather stinky. More info in my blog post (link).

The tall form is the same plant as the original post of this thread.
    P9100022.jpg

Short form; 'Königin Sylva' SM/DOG x 'Hsinying'. I'm not sure if the spelling of the first parent is correct. I think both parents are supposed to be alba. P9100025.jpg

Tall Form:
    P9100045.jpg

Sabinchen, DarleneJay, J E and 2 others like this.
  6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks for the comparison. The tall one has certainly grown well. Interesting that you mention not liking the fragrance on the short form. I recently bloomed my only plant of the short form and was amazed at how lovely the fragrance was. It was so exceptionally fragrant that I just ordered another plant of the short form. I hope it wasn't a fluke.

7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Hi Marni, I actually sniffed them after I saw your post. After sniffing the tall form, my son, wife, and I totally agreed with you. It isn't strong fragrance like some other Cattleya, but it was very pleasant. I had them on the dining table for a while, and the scent was strongest around noon. I sniffed the short one at several different time of the day, but it had faint fungal smell, and no sweet scent. I think my plant is the weird one, and many people, including Chadwick and Chadwick's Cattleya book, mentioned that it has the good fragrance. The short form opened the flowers 1 week earlier, so it might be related to the age of flowers. But the flowers looked fine, and remained open for at least another week. Next time, I'll sniff when the flowers are fresh.

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

A SlipperTalk member said that the correct spelling of the clonal name of the parent is more likely to be 'Königin Silvia' (not Sylva), which means Queen Silvia (of Sweden).

Marni likes this.
  9. Marni

I checked the remaining spike on my short form early this afternoon and it wasn't at all like the fragrance a couple of weeks ago. It was kind of off.

10. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thank you for checking, Marni. So I should have sniffed when the flowers were fresh! It's good to know.

11. Marni

It is worth a try. I was not the only person who thought the fragrance was outstanding. I guess we'll see next year.

naoki likes this.