Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya (Laelia) purpurata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Aug 8, 2020.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

This is a cross of two forms: Cattleya purpurata var. venosa 'AcoSchus' x var. schusteriana 'MC4218'. It is TN5993 from Troy Meyers. Looking at the photos on Troy's site, it became more similar to the pollen parent.

DSC_8865.jpg DSC_8868.jpg DSC_8869.jpg

2. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

That lip is gorgeous!! Purpurata are one of the handful of Cattleyas I insist on having in my collection.

Did you grow this one from flask? How long has it taken from flask to bloom?

3. pipingplover

pipingplover New Member

beautiful bloom.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got it from a slipperTalk forum member in 2015, so I didn't grow from the flask. The seeds were harvested in April 2007, and I don't know the time of deflasking, but it was in the flask at least until March 2010. It is the first bloom under my care, but I'm not sure if it bloomed with the previous owner (it was fairly big).

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Naoki - thanks for the information. Although I am not surprised, that is a substantial turn around time from flask to bloom. I have a few purple seedlings that are growing well but far away from blooming size. Sounds like I need to settle in and be very patient.

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that Cattleya in general grow relatively slow for me, probably weaker light than in a greenhouse. Mine was going to flower 1-2 years ago, but it aborted for some reason. So they can bloom much earlier than mine, I guess.