Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya jongheana

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by DarleneJay, Nov 3, 2019.

1. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

This is my third go round with this species. Mounting, especially on the kool log, has been a game changer in growing these.

20191103_152124.jpg

2. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

:):cool::clap::clap::clap:

3. Raven

Raven Active Member

I've found it challenging growing orchids that need to dry out on Kool-Logs. My Pleurothallids and some Dendrobiums (victoriae-reginae, etc) do well on them but I lost a number of other cool-growers, like Alamania punicea, for example. Do you empty the log out after every watering, Darlene?

4. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

I allow the water to evaporate on its own and have not had a problem. The logs go dry about 1x a week in the winter. The moss only really approaches dryness every 7-10 days. It has not been a problem for the Hadrolaelia group.

My conditions are probably significantly drier than yours. I am growing under lights for the winter and outside over the summer. In the winter I maintain 50-60% humidity.

5. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

gorgeous

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Beautiful!