Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya intermedia var orlata

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Harvey south florida z10b, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Harvey south florida z10b

Harvey south florida z10b Active Member

P1060015.JPG

One of my favorite cats...

2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Pretty!

3. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Beautiful!! My division is in bud.

4. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

What a beautiful shape! And I love the lip color, too!
    :) Is it fragrant?

5. Harvey south florida z10b

Yes it is fragrant. I do not like to stake flowers. Some orchids it is required. I avoid those. I like it when they naturally align in an orderly fashion. I will help it along somewhat if needed. Intermedia makes a very nice presentation.

6. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you. I have an "alba", but it is still a baby-plant so I must be patient with it. :) Meanwhile, I'm grateful to you and others posting such a beautiful flowers that I can enjoy...
    How do you grow yours?

7. Harvey south florida z10b

fullsizeoutput_1cf6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_1cf7.jpeg
    These 2 plants were divisions from the same plant at the same time. It likes potting a little better. Both are healthy and happy. One is mounted on cork. The other is potted in lava rock in a clay pot. They both get watered daily. Morning sun and bright shade. As in the picture I like to plant potted plants on the medium, not in it. Some roots grow in the pot others not.

8. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you very much.
    Interesting way of potting.
    :) I love all those roots hanging everywhere.

9. Harvey south florida z10b

For growing orchids, I try to copy as close as possible, the plants experience in nature, this case Brazil. I imagine the plant on a tree and having multiple rain and dry on a per day basis. Lava rock and clay pots has minimal water retention. So it can take frequent water. My cork mount get daily water too. It probably can take 2 waters a day on cork. But it is doing well. By planting ON the medium it is more like a mount. Not for all orchid types. No phals, bulbo's or phaps to name a few. If the plant likes mounting, then lava and clay pots work. It must be firmly connected with a rhizome clip or 2. My thinking is if there are roots everywhere the plant is happy. It is what they do in nature. I have seen roots more than 30' up a tree.
    Also I use maxi-crop. A Norwegian seaweed juice that is a root stimulant. A true game changer. Find it online. The roots get fatter and there are long translucent tips. Best roots equals best plant! Equals best flowers...

10. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Thank you again. Maxi-crop. I wrote it down and I will search for it.