Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Cattleya araguaiensis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Sep 3, 2020.

1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

An unusual species (some consider a separate genus Cattleyella), Cattleya araguaiensis, intriguing 4.5-5" fragrant flowers with a most unusual lip which does not unfurl much, but has its own particular form of beauty. Like Laelia (syn.cattleya?) lundii and C.walkeriana, these and other unique species make one wonder about the relationships in their groups. Are unifoliate and bifoliate catts all really the same genus? Are all the large floofy ones really just one big species when even the 'experts' cannot tell them apart? Do C.walkeriana and C.nobilior belong in their own separate genus? How big do we want a genus to be if it is no guide to the morphology and culture of the plants within it? Sophronitis also comes to mind, as do the rupicolous 'laelias'.

araguaiensis0920.jpg
    araguaiensisplant0920.jpg

2. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Definitely an oddball. One I couldn’t keep alive. I had an alba araguaiensis that befell the fate of the rest I tried growing.

I would love to see dormaniana x araguaiensis.

3. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Sorry it didn't make it. Wherever did you get one of the albas? I've been looking everywhere for one.

4. Arne

Arne Member

Something I have been looking for for a while. How do you grow it?

5. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Roy Tokunaga gave it to me. Sorry Roy!

6. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Do you know if he has more available?

7. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

This one is in cypress mulch in a small clay pot, watered twice a week with intermediate to warm temps and regular cattleya light levels.