Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Catasetum denticulatum ('SVOII' AM/AOS x 'SVO' AM/AOS)

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Jul 26, 2018.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A compact Catasetum species. First bloom seedling I got a year ago. 11 flowers, slightly over 1½" wide each. The reason for the species name should be pretty obvious if you look at the edges of the lip.

I get edema on the leaves of Catasetinae I grow potted. More so on Cynoches than Catasetum. I don't get edema on the leaves of a Clowesia rosea and Galeandra batemanii I grow mounted. Supposedly watering early in the morning helps prevent it, but I've never noticed that it makes any difference. Anyhow, it's purely cosmetic, and the leaves are going to drop off by winter anyway.

Standard Catasetum culture. Bright light, intermediate to warm. Plenty of water and fertilizer, while actively growing. No water at all during dormancy.

Catasetum denticulatum.jpg Catasetum denticulatum inflorescence.jpg Catasetum denticulatum closeup.jpg Catasetum denticulatum lip closep.jpg

weeand, Kipper, wpinnix and 2 others like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Very nice!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Amazing lip!

4. slippersnpitchers

slippersnpitchers New Member

Beautiful! Do you let it dry before watering, or keep it evenly moist? I have this same plant with a spike on it, but probably a month or 2 from blooming. Very happy to see this! Thanks for posting!

5. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

It's probably never entirely dry during the growing season. Same treatment as other Catasetinae.