Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Catasetinae species sources?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by Boytjie, Sep 10, 2014.

1. Boytjie

Boytjie Out hiking Supporting Member

Hello all: having had some success with a few Catasetum types, I've been looking for sources for species from this genus. They only one I really know of is SVO, but they mostly have hybrids. Any particular growers that folks here like to buy from? -Stephen

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Tropical orchid Farm has a few Mormodes species. I haven't bought any Catastanae from them but other plants that i have bought have been very nice.

3. Boytjie

I tried a Mormodes species - they're tough. I've got a Mormodes hybrid and it seems to be a bit more forgiving. Thanks, I'll check them out. I've seen a few eBay sellers who have Catasetum species from time to time.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Stephen, I don't know much about this group, but Floralia (Brazil) has 11 species listed in the most recent price list. They are coming for Fascination of Orchids Fall Show (Sept 27-28), and the pre-order dead line is Sept 14.

Catasetum blackii 2" 20.00
    Catasetum expansum (spotted x yellow) 2" 20.00
    Catasetum fimbriatum NFS 20.00
    Catasetum pileatum (alba x alba) 2" 20.00
    Catasetum planiceps NFS 20.00
    Catasetum schmidtianum 2" 20.00
    Catasetum semicirculatum 3" 20.00
    Catasetum vinaceum x vinaceum yellow 2" 20.00
    Cycnoches ergertonianum 'Red' FS 30.00
    Cycnoches loddigesii NFS 30.00
    Cycnoches pentadactylum FS 25.00

Peruflora has 13 Catasetum, 6 Cycnoches, 2 Mormodes, but I don't know when they are coming to the US next.

5. Boytjie

Thanks, Naoki! I'm not in a position to attend the show, but it might be worth contacting them to see if they could ship to me while in the U.S.

6. nikkik

nikkik Active Member

I tend to gravitate towards species plants too. Stephen Moffitt offers divisions of his plants in the spring via his website: catasetinae.com (the name of the website is rare earth orchids). The plant quality is fantastic and the prices are great. You can sign up to be on his email list, this way as soon as he has plants available you will be notified.

7. Boytjie

That is fantastic. Thanks so much for the info!