Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Calanthe madagascariensis

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Sep 29, 2016.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wonderful, compact species. This is from Malala import, organized by Botanica in summer 2015. So it is pretty recent acquisition (and I'm still figuring out how to grow it). The leaves were pretty dry, and some were crispy at the arrival. I was pretty sure that it was a goner, but it has been gradually coming back. So it is far from the full potential. The color seems to be a bit paler than photos I have seen, and we'll see how it will do next year (hopefully).

A link to my Orchid Borealis blog post about this species.

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

The plant still looks a bit beaten up.
    [​IMG]
    Calante madagascariensis plant
    on Flickr

Photos under CC-BY-SA.

GaryYG and Kipper like this.
  2. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

It's been flowering at least once a year, but this is the first time that 3 inflorescence flowered simultaneously. I missed the peak because I was out of town for a while. The leaves don't look too good, but that's because they will be replaced after the flowering.
    [​IMG]
    on Flickr

GaryYG and wpinnix like this.
  3. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

This looks like a lovely sized calanthe that is manageable in size! I enjoy the ruffled leaves very much. Great growing

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thanks, Calvin. Yes, this one is pretty compact, it is 12-14" tall (with flowers), I think.

5. Steve C

Steve C New Member

What does this look like under the leaves? I recently got one from the LOC order, but it looks more like an epiphyte than a terrestrial to me. It certainly doesn't have the big hourglass pseudobulbs that I'm accustomed to with Calanthe.

Maybe it scoots along the ground via runners?

6. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Beautiful colors! :) I especially love the lip color-changing.

7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Steve, I don't remember, and I don't have any photos. This is how I received from Malala, it was somewhat dried.
    P7100018.jpg
    I don't remember seeing large pseudobulbs, and the new growth seems to appear right next to the old growth, so no long runners. I think it has moderately thick roots like other Calanthe. It doesn't go deciduous, but the old growth goes away after the new growth gets going.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  8. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

What sort of potting mix are you using?

9. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Bill, I used Better-Gro Medium bark: Medium Perlite (sponge rock): pressured cooked feather moss from the backyard (packed tight): Unimin 16 Mesh Quartz Sand, 2075 (fairly coarse sand):Carquest UltraSorb 100% Diatomaceous Earth (about the size of fine perlite), Item # 8826, Moltan Sorbent ($16/25lb) = 5:2:2:1:0.5. I don't know why I used such a complicated mix, but I was into mixing bunch of stuff about 3 years ago, I guess. The pot is kind of inflated now, and I probably should repot it this year...