Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum thaiorum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Jul 1, 2014.

Tags:
  1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a beautiful species in or out of bloom. This plant is always in bloom for the 4th of July so I call it my fireworks plant. This was sold by Andy's as B. yasnae but thaiorum is the accepted name.
    This species has a wide range of color forms and I wouldn't mind getting a few more of the colors.
    Bulbophyllum thaiorum plant-800.jpg Bulbophyllum thaiorum-900.jpg

nikkik likes this.
  2. nikkik

nikkik Active Member

Kelly, this is gorgeous! I have the same plant from Andy that I purchased about 10 months ago. It is currently putting out spikes. Under what type of conditions are you growing yours?

3. KellyW

Nikki, I grow it in my greenhouse under intermediate temperatures but it is up high so it is on the warm side of intermediate. This plant is grown in very bright light until about mid-day then it gets progressively shadier. A division off this plant is grown cooler and shadier and is doing fine as well. IOSPE shows it growing in deep shade so it may be quite forgiving of conditions. It gets daily summer water and in the winter it gets water every 2-3 days. When yours is in bloom I would be interested in knowing what color it is since it is a new acquisition from Andy.

4. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

wow - this sp was my first Bulbophyllum ever, shame but lost it about two years ago... it is really big plant.

5. nikkik

nikkik Active Member

Kelly, I'll definitely post pictures when mine blooms. The tag does say that it is the red form and my leaves look exactly like yours.

I asked about your conditions because you've obviously been successful with the plant long term. Mine took off when I sat the mount is a tray of water and was wondering if you keep yours that wet, but from your answer above you don't. My plant doesn't dry out and seems to love it (the wood mount doesn't though:)). I also grow it in shade with it getting some evening sun in intermediate to warm temps (depending on the season).

I think you're right about this plant liking a variety of conditions, which is another reason to love it!

6. KellyW

Mine definitely dries between watering, at least most of the year. I don't know if that is optimum but it doesn't seem to mind it.

7. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Very nice Kelly!

8. RosieC

RosieC Member

What great colour, and that plant looks really happy.

9. timber

timber Member

Wow! I thought this one liked it on the cooler side so I always stayed away. Might need to reconsider.

10. Ignas

Ignas Member

Nice flowers and plant!

11. Laura-jean

Laura-jean Member

gorgeous!