Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum sp.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, May 12, 2017.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I received this in a trade several years ago as Bulbophyllum evrardii. It isn't even close although it looks like the photo on IOSPE and Jay says it is NOT evrardii.

The little "fishing poles" on the dorsal sepals bounce around with any air movement perhaps to lure the pollinator (?).

Anyway, I'm thinking perhaps B. amplifolium, picturatum or pseudopicturatum. I am open to suggestions. I wouldn't rule out a hybrid but would be surprised. The flowers are about 2 inches long, largest pseudobulb about 2 inches and the longest leaf 10". Grown bright, intermediate to warm temps.

Bulbophyllum amplifolium quarter-900.jpg Bulbophyllum amplifolium top-900.jpg Bulbophyllum amplifolium detail-900.jpg Bulbophyllum amplifolium plant-900.jpg

JohnF, Marni, wpinnix and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

That's Actually beautiful Kelly. Do the lips dance too? Fragrance a plus or minus?

3. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

These are excellent images, this one looks like B.picturatum, this is very close to B.eberhardtii and B.longiflorum

4. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Great pictures and beautiful Bulbophyllum!

5. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

colour like eberhardtii flowers like picturatum

6. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

These umbellate types don't often catch my eye, but this one is very nice!

7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

The photo featuring the dorsal sepal appendage is especially nice!

8. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Well-Known Member

Hi Kelly,

I looked up a couple of sites and they tell me that Bulb. eberhardtii is a synonym of Bulb. longiflorum and also looking for ID photos I found a couple that are very similar to your plant named as Bulb. eberhardtii. The longiflorum, amplifolium and picturatum are a bit complex I think.
    I think I have a photo of my Bulb. amplifolium so if I can find it I will post it.
    Back to your plant I think I would put Bulb. longiflorum on it with Bulb. eberhardtii. as a synonym all on the label.
    There is another member on this forum that might be able to help but at the moment he is away but I will contact him and see if he can shed more light on the subject.
    I hope this has helped some.

Eric

9. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Eric, thank you for your time and information. For now I think I will put "B. longiflorum or picturatum TBD" on the tag.