Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum romyi

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Ricardo, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

This is the first time I have seen this plant in the flesh. My DRSL camera stubbornly insisted into producing photos that show this orchid an unnatural red color. I had to use my phone camera to capture the real darkness of this orchid. This plant originates from an importation to the island which was labeled Bulb. fascinator but that turned out to be composed entirely of Bulb. romyi. One case in which I would not have been bothered by a mislabeled plant. 20191215_143827 (2).jpg

KellyW, wpinnix and Foozil like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is quite something!

3. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

An AOS judge told me that this flower is from a young and still growing plant, that the flower can get bigger and much longer. Also the flower is quite hard, with a waxy warty texture on its sepals that is pretty weird.

4. Cor van Honk

Cor van Honk Member

Beauty!

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Its striking now. I can only imagine what it will look like later.

6. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Buying Bulb. fascinator and finding out it's actually Bulb. romyi would not be a bad thing to discover at all!