Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum obovatifolium

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jul 25, 2017.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from Far East Agriculture earlier this year. There were two buds before we took off for salmon dip-netting, but one was done when we got back. But the second one was still there.

There isn't much info about this species. The best info I can find is here:
    Largest online collection of New Guinea orchids

For my untrained eyes, it doesn't seem to contradict with the illustration, and the description is mostly similar (except color, but color can be variable). There were photos from about 2 people on internet (one of them in Japan is probably the same source). So I'm not completely sure if the ID is correct. Any inputs appreciated.

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

Below here, they are dissected.

Dorsal sepal removed:
    [​IMG]Bulbophyllum obovatifolium, dorsal sepal removed on Flickr

To show the column, all sepals and the front petal was removed. But the white petal can be seen behind the column:
    [​IMG]
    Bulbophyllum obovatifolium, column and lip
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bulbophyllum obovatifolium, column and lip
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bulbophyllum obovatifolium, disected
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Bulbophyllum obovatifolium, lip and anther cap
    on Flickr

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't help with ID but that is an amazing flower. This is new to me and I love it. Thanks for the post.

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I got a couple of those too, but no buds or blooms. What are your conditions where it is growing?

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I was growing it at intermediate temp (a little warmer side) in my quarantine enclosed aquarium (so very high humidity like 90%) when it initiated buds. Now, I moved it into an open-top tupperware quarantine container, so the humidity is lower (like 70%). The max/min daily temp is like 87/67F. It is still in relatively shady area. So it is basically Phalaenopsis like condition at this moment. I'm using small bark:med. perlite (sponge rock): NZ sphag = 1:1:1.

Other than flowering, I haven't seen much going on from the above (I think it did stop dropping leaves already), so I'm not sure if it is a good condition or not.

If we go with the location in Orchids of New Guinea web site, the localities seem to be quite coastal, and Jayapura might be close. It's climatic data is here:
    Climate Jayapura: Temperature, Climate graph, Climate table for Jayapura - Climate-Data.org

Daily min/max: 60-70F/80-90F

It is interesting that Feb-May is the hottest even though it is in S. hemisphere. I don't know why.

Not a lot of precipitation (Steppe-like climate), with a couple months of really low precipitation.

Ricardo and Marni like this.
  5. ChrisHTX

ChrisHTX Member

Hi Naoki, I can help with the climate information. You're looking at Jayapura, India. Indeed a steppe climate in the northern hemisphere. Jayapura in Papua has an equatorial tropical climate that varies very little (less than a degree) from 27 C, with a total annual rainfall of 2.4 meters. Daily cycle is 24-30 C. Dec-May can all have 20-25 cm monthly total rain. The driest month is July with 14 cm

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Chris. That is very helpful.

7. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Oops, thank you for noticing the wrong city, Chris. I guess this in Wikipedia has some data (not daily min/max, though). Jayapura - Wikipedia But it sounds like basically warm/hot, humid, and wet. Warm/hot growers are a bit difficult for my place, but it seems to be doing ok so far.

8. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Hi Naoki, thought I knew most of the foreign vendors...but this Far East Agriculture comes up in conversation and I can't say I've run into them. Are they at shows or do they export several times during the year? I hear they get cooler stuff as well.

9. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Chuck, Dan Chong comes to the US a couple times a year. He is supposed to be in the US on Sept 16 & 17 for Aroid Annual Show and sale in Fairchild gardens. But due to the hurricane, the show is cancelled. I'm not sure what he is going to do. I usually pre-order before Redland, and get them mailed. His approach to pre-order is unconventional. Some people may be worried about a bit sparse communication. Also, even if I place pre-order, I may or may not get plants. I think I placed pre-order 5-6 times, and I didn't get any fro 2-3 times. If you pm your email address, I can forward you his most recent price list.

10. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Thanks Naoki...will do!

11. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He cancelled the import for the IAS show. Next time he'll be here is for Tamiami.