Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum macranthoides

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by RustyExotics, Apr 11, 2020.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

This is a truly amazing species. The flowers are the most fantastic mystical, emerald green, and they fade to a yellow-gold as the flower ages. They have a phenomenal scent that is reminiscent of cinnamon and spices. It may be one of my favorite fragrances on any orchid.

I grow it intermediate, bright light, and let it dry out slightly between watering. The only downside of this species is that it is LEGGY. The rhizomes between each pseudobulb can reach nearly 6 inches long, so it is a really tough plant to keep in its pot.

As of recently, I've had a problem where the new growths develop the leaf, split, then a small brown spot appears on them and the entire growth aborts. I am trying to think that it isn't a fungal issue, because it only affects the newest growth, so I think it's actually a minor "metabolic" issue. I embarrassingly have neglected some of my plants due to really never having time for anything, and I think the plant is suffering from a really severe lack of nutrients. I'm being strict with myself now about fertilizing everything on a schedule again, and I used Bill Thoms' molasses-fertilizer method, so we'll see how that does. This plant was scheduled to have a fantastic bloom this year, but all buds except this one died back, which was my "wake up call" for getting this plant in shape again.

P1170138.JPG

GaryYG, wpinnix, rico and 2 others like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

That is an amazing green! And even a nice scent too.

3. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Rusty,

I think this species is Bulbophyllum sinapis. Bulb. macranthoides has a very different shaped lip.

RustyExotics likes this.
  4. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Well-Known Member

Hi Rusty, I agree with Gary that your plant is Bulb sinapsis.
    Eric

RustyExotics likes this.