Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum lemniscatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jan 7, 2019.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I purchased this Bulbophyllum lemniscatum fairly recently (spring 2018) from Tropical Exotique of Thailand (Manote Quahphanit), and this is its first bloom for me. Here is the link to my Orchid Borealis blog post, where I uploaded a video (not high quality) showing the movement of appendages with slight breeze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The flowers are fairly long lasting, the whole plant photo below is from Dec. 5, 2018, and it is still in flower (the photos above are from Jan 2, 2019).
    [​IMG]

2. Foozil

Foozil New Member

Amazing photos!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

What are your growing conditions? I've killed a few of these in the past.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Marni, I just got it last spring, so I'm not sure about its growing condition yet (and I haven't had too much long-term success with deciduous Bulbophyllum). But here is what I did. Actually, I forgot that it was from fairly low elevation, and accidentally left it in the cooler area. So it is growing at the cool-end of intermediate; max/min daily temperature of 29/18C (84/65F) in the hottest time of summer (but it is probably more like 80/60F on average) and 21/13C (70/55F) in the winter. The flowering pseudobulb is the one which matured in this condition, and it seems to be comparable to older bulbs. I might move to warmer area next year. I usually have to water every other day in the summer, but after the leaf drop, I reduced watering to once every 6-8 days.

Foozil likes this.
  5. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Naoki. I may have dried mine off too much in the winter.

6. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Looks great, Naoki!