Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum (Hapalochilus) xanthoacron

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Mar 26, 2017.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

This is the first blooming of this plant under my care. I don't know if it is seed grown or a division but I acquired it about 18 months ago from Orchids For The People and it has probably tripled in size since then. I acquired it as Hapalochilus but Kew says that Bulbophyllum is the accepted genus.

The lip is a pouch open at the bottom and resembles a long slender upside-down lady slipper pouch. I should have taken a photo from below.

Grown warm, bright, and moist (a thick piece of tree fern with sphagnum moss and daily watering). The ruler is metric.

Hapalochilus xanthoacron close-900.jpg Hapalochilus xanthoacron profile2-300.jpg Hapalochilus xanthoacron profile-900.jpg Hapalochilus xanthoacron plant-900.jpg

2. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Really nice plant! Wonder how a pouch open at the bottom like that helps it get pollinated?

3. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

Excellent images. Do the sepals close together at night?

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

With orchids, the wonders don't cease!

5. Jgrimm1055

Jgrimm1055 Jonathan loves Masdevallias!

Kelly I love it! That lip makes me laugh! Great job! Looks fantastic!

6. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I doubt the pouch has a function but is just an efficient way to make the large lip (just guessing).

Thank you.
    I didn't realize that it closed at night but after I photographed it I left it in the house for a few hours. By the time I took it out to the greenhouse it had closed for the day. I'll have to watch it for a few days and see what the pattern is.

Agreed!

Thanks. The lip looks like something from a Muppet character (was it Gonzo with the big nose?)
    EDIT: Here is a link for Gonzo

Jgrimm1055 likes this.
  7. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

Normally the sepals of the species in this section are all the same width, it's interesting to see that the lateral sepals in your flower are somewhat wider and concave, to cover the elaborate and immobile lip

8. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

This is really nice!

9. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Well done, Kelly! Jason, one of the growers at Orchids for the People sent me a piece of this in trade a few years ago. I agree that it is a very vigorous grower. I may need to move mine to something a bit more water retentive or give it higher light, though, because mine has never bloomed.