Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum globuliforme

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by seidenfaden, Oct 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

B.globuliforme1.JPG Bulbophyllum globuliforme is a tiny orchid that grows as an epiphyte on the upper trunk and branches of Hoop Pine trees (Araucaria cunninghamii) in upland subtropical rainforest, the climate in such situations is cool and wet. Bulbophyllum globuliforme occurs in North-East NSW and South-East Queensland Australia.

This species has a slender creeping root along which green globular psuedobulbs grow close together, forming chains or mats. The plant is difficult to see, and can be mistaken for moss or lichen, since the psuedobulbs are only 1 – 2 mm in diameter. The 1-1.5cm inflorescence develops from the base of the psuedobulb and produces a single flower about 3 mm across, which is white or pale yellow, sometimes with faint purple or crimson colouring.

Inexplicably the flower shown in my image has developed synanthously with the new shoot, at the top of the pseudobulb, but axillary to the upper rhizome bract, (the scarious bract that ends above the apex of the pseudobulbs). In other words the flower has emerged from the top of the partly made up psuedobulb.

Bulbophyllum wendlandianum is the only other species in this genus which develops an inflorescence together with the growth of a new psuedobulb, but from the base of the psuedobulb. (Synanthous).

It appears that our globuliforme inflorescence is borne on a separate shoot which produces only a rudimentary psuedobulb, termed heteranthous. View attachment 33063 View attachment 33064 View attachment 33065

Still, the flower was worth waiting for even though it’s developed against the norm.

I wanted to show all the images full size but I lost my way somewhere.

Attached Files:

piotrm, weeand, jai and 2 others like this.
  2. leo

leo African orchids only :-)

Very interesting, thanks for showing!

3. Chris.c147

Chris.c147 Well-Known Member

Wow that is quite a cute little plant. Added to my wanted list.

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, it is tiny! Thank you for the informative post!

5. Gregg Zollinger

Gregg Zollinger Active Member

Thanks, for taking the time to share all that info. I have liked the plant for a long time, but learned a lot about it just now.

6. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

what a great micro mini species. New to me. Thanks for the great post.