Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum geniculiferum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by ZWUM, Sep 13, 2011.

Tags:
  1. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Awesome lip on this species, its like a little canoe.
    genic1.JPG

2. Chris

Chris New Member

Awesome! I *REALLY* want this species!!

3. Mary Jane

Mary Jane New Member

Oh man, that's great, Zwum.

4. Alexis

Alexis New Member

How do you grow this one, Zwum? I've had mine for over a year, but no blooms. (Although it may still be too young.)

5. ZWUM

Thanks Chris and Mary Jane!

Alexis so far its been a good grower, it's in fairly low light (I'll take a light reading tomorrow if it's sunny and tell you in foot candles) warm temps, good air movement, high humidity, water once a day. We did have a few cool nights, around 58, and I think that's what might have initiated the spikes, there are another 4 or 5 on the way. Hope that helps.

6. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Thanks, Zwum. It's a great plant...nice job blooming it! If it's the temp drop that initiated spikes, I'm gonna have to wait until at least January here. haha

7. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Bulbophyllum scyphochilus

8. Alexis

Alexis New Member

I'm glad you suggested the name may be wrong. After looking at Zwum's plant, and then at mine, I knew they couldn't be the same species. Not that I know mine is correctly labeled, but it's a significantly smaller plant.

9. Jon

I suspect you have the same plant, Alexis.

10. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

Great Flower!!!

11. AWUM

AWUM Member

After looking into the differences between scyphochilus and geniculiferum, we determined that the plant posted here is Bulbophyllum geniculiferum. Although very similar, they are two separate species, belonging to two separate sections. Bernard from Orchids Online was kind enough to shed some light on the subject.

"B. scyphochilus (Sec:Scaphochilus) and B.geniculiferum (Sec:Coelochilus) look very similar, but they are two seperate species.

In his monumental work 'The Orchidaceae of German New Guinea' R.Schlechter mentions that Coelochilus is related closely to Scaphochylus especially in the structure of the column, which is footless or nearly so. This is also true of another closely related section Hapalochilus with a similar column structure.

In these three sections the lip is more often than not immobile and the sepals are reflexed mostly during the hot hours of the day, but afterwards close regularly as the temperature falls. The flowers last only a few days and the peduncles carry a single flower. The most prominent feature of the flowers from these three sections are the flamboyant lips. We have at least one more species B.alticola in this section shown in the Bulbophyllum Photo Gallery.

In B.scyphochilus the lip in outline is ovate lanceolate, obtuse, margins in basal half, boat-like, incurved, in the apical half slightly narrowed. Flower colour violet-red. petals white, anterior half spotted with red. Lip darker violet-red.

In B.geniculiferum the lip is directed outward and forward, near the middle curved upwards with a blunt angle, narrow especially to the apex, verrucose, underneath longitudinally grooved, fleshy and at a third below the apex constricted. Flower colour brown-red."

12. Jon

tldr

13. ZWUM

Alexis, I took a light reading yesterday and this plant is in brighter conditions than I had guessed. At the brightest point during the day I got a reading of 1750 fc. Hopefully you can bloom your plant and we can see if they are different species!

14. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great species and I will beg if allowed!

15. Bernard McDonald

Bernard McDonald Active Member

Latest info on our image of B.geniculiferum, according to Vermeulen is that it is indeed B. scyphochilus.

Marni likes this.