Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum fletcherianum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Clawd, Nov 15, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Clawd

Clawd New Member

Having a good smell of my B. fletcherianum, I noticed that one of the flowers was different.

I was quite impressed then noticed that it had two labellum. It looks like two flowers became one. You can see the normal version in the photo as a comparison.

As for the smell - sensational. I have B phalaenopsis and B cruentum flowering at present but this is the best.
    DSC_0241_3.jpg

2. ronan

ronan Member Supporting Member

very nice,
    but more probably, due to flowers count a B. spiesii.
    what's the size of the flowers?
    thx

3. Alexis

Alexis New Member

Fantastic!

4. Clawd

Clawd New Member

B fletcherianum or B spiesii??

Hi Ronan,

I believe that in Australia the general consensus is that these are synonyms - or at least that is what I’ve always been told. In saying that, I’m starting to doubt it.

This plant has about 22 flowers on it (8 inches across), large round bulbs, 80-120cm leaves and a really good smell.

Two other plants that are flowering or have flowered have only about 12 flowers (6 inches across) and a good smell though not as strong, Their leaves are just as long but the bulbs are smaller and leaves thinner.

The plant/leaf shape size is a poor indicator as I’ve tiny plants that have flowered and big ones that haven’t.

So, in answer to your question … could be.

Sure is interesting contrasting it with a B cruentum in flower at the moment. Love these orchids!

Regards

JK
    DSC_0227_2.jpg

5. Clawd

Clawd New Member

More likely a B fletcherianum

This plant just finished flowering. Its next one is about two weeks away.
    DSC_0170_2.jpg

6. Jon

Jon Mmmm... bulbophyllum...

Oh my.

7. ericst11

ericst11 New Member

Love the pic's Jon might i ask where you picked up the cruentum ? i have been looking for one for a while.

8. Jon

That's Clawd's cruentum. :)

9. ronan

10. ericst11

ericst11 New Member

I was woundering if someone here could tell me what this is ? It was sold to me as Bulbo macrobulbon ,But i don't think so.Heres links to my pics because i haven't figured out how to post pictures yet.Sorry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobosnob/4808961333/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobosnob/4809583848/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hobosnob/4809583868/in/photostream/

There all the Same plant just one had differant lighting if you could help that would be wounderful.

11. ronan

try my link above...you should answer yourself and discover the macrobulbon section.

12. ronan

Key for Bulbophyllum Section Macrobulbon - partly based an data by Yukawa & Kurasawa

1. petals with wavy rim, lateral sepals shorter than 60 mm, therefore not much longer than the dorsal sepals; the flower appears therefore not elongated but more rounded...............................................=4

1a. petals with smooth rim, lateral sepals longer than 60mm and much longer than the dorsal sepals.................................................................=2

2. sepals hirsute an the outer side.... B. phalaenopsis 2a. sepals not hirsute an outside.............. ............ .=3

3. five to eight flowers per inflorescence, lateral sepals 9 to 10cm Iong.................... B. fletcherianum

3a. up to 20 flowers per inflorescence, lateral sepals up to 7cm long........................................... B. spiesii

4. lateral sepals free, flowers dark red, labellum hirsute..................................................B. cruentum

4a. lateral sepals partly fused ..................................=5

5. petals half as long as sepals, with leaves up to 80cm long .....................................B. orthosepalum

5a. petals up to two thirds in length of sepals.......................................................................=6

6. lateral sepals fused, except at tip, dorsal sepals approx. 40mm long............... ..... ....B. macrobulbum

6a. lateral sepals fused with exception at base dorsal sepal approx. 25mm long........................ B. agastor

13. ericst11

ericst11 New Member

still a little confused. even with that lay out of differant features Theres like two it could be. If you don't mind a little help or a little insight. That would be helpful.

14. Jon

What two are you thinking, Eric? Perhaps someone here could refute one.

15. ronan

and don't forget it could be a hybrid...i already seen this kind of plants sold as phalaenopsis in switzeland...

16. ericst11

ericst11 New Member

No not phalaenopsis it doen't have the hairs that phalaenopsis has. what was the plant that you had seen that looked like this a hybid and if so do you know the cross.

17. Jon

No really. Which ones do you think it is?

18. ericst11

ericst11 New Member

maybe B. orthosepalum or spiesii those are the ones that could come close.