Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum flavofimbriatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by RustyExotics, Jun 27, 2020.

1. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

This is an amazing pendant species from Borneo. It's in the section Epicrianthes, which stands as one of my favorite sections of Bulbophyllum due to their pendant nature and bizarre flowers.

I grow mine hanging off of a piece of bark in humid conditions, intermediate-warm temperatures, and decently bright light (grown near my Habenaria, so slightly less than Cattleya). I mist the entire plant once a day, but may mist it 2-3 if I actually remember to. The flowers are maybe 0.5 cm, and only last about 10 hours. In fact, This plant bloomed wonderfully last year, and I decided to take a picture of it when I got back from classes and work. Needless to say, the blooms were already closed by the time I got home, and I was disappointing that I was only able to appreciate the flowers in person for 2 minutes or so.

I really wasn't ecstatic about how these pictures turned out (I'm always in such a hurry these days...), but I suppose I'll have next year.

Bulbophyllum flavofimbriatum F.JPG
    P1170395.JPG
    Bulbophyllum flavofimbriatum C2.JPG

Chris45, GaryYG, DPfarr and 6 others like this.
  2. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A very nice species. Shame the flowers don't last longer. I grew for a while and it bloomed, but it didn't last for a whole year. This section has a reputation for being difficult.

3. RustyExotics

Yes, this section tends to be a little tough due to several abiotic factors that seem to clash in a greenhouse. The best way to keep them, in my opinion, is to make sure to keep humidity and air circulation high and to mist them as frequently as you can. If they establish themselves, they tend to be pretty happy, but it's difficult to get them to that point. I've only got this one and Bulb. haniffii, the latter of which is finally created several new growths (took maybe 6+ months to actually get it to that point).

4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

What a beauty. Probably difficult or impossible to grow in a the dry, hot coastal areas of a caribbean island without artificial cooling and humidity, but one can dream.

5. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Now that's a unique flower! Too bad the flowers are so short lived. Are they "fragrant "?

6. RustyExotics

No, they have no noticeable fragrance to me at all!