Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum dayanum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jul 19, 2020.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from Far East Agriculture in 2015, and it finally bloomed (the photo is from April 12, 2020). Pretty interesting flower (dissected flower photos on my blog post (link)). It is a slow grower for me.
    P4126143.jpg P4126153.jpg P4126144.jpg

DarleneJay, DPfarr, J E and 3 others like this.
  2. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Worth the wait...very nice!

3. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Your plant looks beautiful! I got one in 2008 from Dan. It is a slow grower and for me a bit of a shy bloomer. I do have a few seedlings from an outcross I did. I have all of them mounted, maybe I will try a few potted. What medium do you have it in?

4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Hi Marni, I'm using just 100% fine bark, and keeping the media low in the pot in an attempt to keep it contained. But it is crawling out now. I think I would mount it if I had space because of the long internodes. It's slow for me, too, and it's been about 1-2 pseudobulbs per year or so, but it looks like they are making 3 leads this year.

Marni likes this.
  5. J E

J E New Member

Very nice and nice blog !

naoki likes this.
  6. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

Marni, do you plan to sell any of the seedlings? This is an amazing species!

J E likes this.
  7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't had enough to want to sell them. I need to work on them to get them growing better so I can get blooms. I resowed stored seed a couple of years ago and have some flasks that will be ready soon. Send an email if you are interested in reserving one.

J E likes this.