Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum contortisepalum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by goods, Jul 24, 2017.

1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Small Bulbo. species from Papua New Guinea. This is from a group of plants I imported and is the first bicolor form of this species that I've seen.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ChrisHTX, Mikhail kujawa and KellyW like this.
  2. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Well-Known Member

Hi, I also imported a plant last year and it has flowered for me already but mine is all yellow. Like yours I also have put it on a mount. I think some small Bulbos do better on a mount than in a pot. A larger Bulbo for me does better on a mount than a pot is Bulb. medusae.
    Eric

3. goods

Another of the plants that I ordered this year is now in flower. This one is all yellow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And a poor photo to show flower scale compared to the plant...
    [​IMG]

ChrisHTX and JohnF like this.
  4. Ricardo

Ricardo Slave of demanding bird

What an interesting plant. Never had seen it before. Surely the story of how it evolved to have a lip like that is surely quite twisted.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice one, Zach. Are the sepals twisted around each other or is it a synsepal that is spiraled?

6. goods

I believe that it is two sepals that are twisted together. They originate from opposite sides of the flower, like separate sepals, and only merge as they converge at the center. I must admit that I haven't taken a flower apart to determine for sure, though.

7. goods

Was able to snap some photos of both the yellow and the bicolor. They aren't great because they're just from my phone, but you can clearly see they are not very similar. I'm thinking the reddish species may actually be falciferum or streptosepalum.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Ryan

Ryan Got Pleurothallids?

Really choice Bulbo's, Zach.

9. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Really nice!

10. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Interesting, Zach. I need to look into this. Do you have the measurement of the sepal lengths? My second flower opened (of the darker one), and it would be interesting to compare. With mine, the shape of the petals look different from illustration of B. contortisepalum.

11. goods

Lateral sepals were roughly 6.5 cm long and dorsal was ~0.95 cm (6/16") from the attachment point to the tip. I measure the actual floral segment length for the dorsal, not vertical height.

12. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Looking at the Orchids of New Guinea descriptions, there are several differences between B. contortisepalum and B. falciferum. The dorsal sepal of B. falciferum is 3-pronged and small (0.67cm long) while B. contortisepalum has a single point and it is longer (2.1cm). Also lateral sepals are much shorter with B. falciferum (3.65cm vs 8cm). One confusing things is that the photos used in B. falciferum page is exactly same as the one in B. contortisepalum page, and the photos don't show the 3-pronged dorsal sepal and proportionately smaller dorsal:lateral length ratio.

Tropicos don't have much info about this group, but Kew seems to list these two species as separate species, but they consider B. streptosepalum as a synonym of B. contortisepalum. IOSPE mentions that B. streptosepalum is a variety with smaller flowers.

Mine has lateral sepal length of 3.8cm and dorsal sepal length of 1.4cm. So it is significantly smaller than yours or the description of B. contortisepalum. I'm guessing mine and your dark one is B. contortisepalum. Your yellow one seems to have really small dorsal. Does it have 3-pronged dorsal?

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

In the following photo, you can see the shape of the petals. Mine has 1 sharp point and the other side points are kind of dull. On the other hand, the illustration (and photos) of B. contorisepalum (link here) show that all 3-points are pointy.
    [​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

Pawpaw and ChrisHTX like this.