Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum comparison

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by ZWUM, Jun 3, 2014.

Tags:
  1. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

B. eberhardtii vs. B. corolliferum ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401807862.153685.jpg

Close up of B. corolliferum

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401807877.238281.jpg

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Looks like plant size is about the same?

3. ZWUM

The eberhardtii plant isn't in the pic that's another species in the background. The eberhardtii is quite a bit bigger than corolliferum plant.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Have you taken a close look inside each of the flowers to see if there are differences?

5. ZWUM

I can post a close up of the internals tomorrow morning!

6. ZWUM

Here's the closest I can do with my phone. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402030248.373324.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402030261.573938.jpg

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I can't see enough detail in the second one to guess. Do they look the same to you?

8. ZWUM

I know my little macro lens for t fit on this phone. I'll have to rig something this weekend to get a better shot. They do look quite similar up close.

9. gnathaniel

gnathaniel Lurker Supporting Member

Very nice! AFAIK eberhardtii is currently considered a synonym/member of the longiflorum group, whereas corolliferum is still recognized as a distinct species. Vegetatively they seem pretty distinct, in Orchidaceae sometimes a better indicator of relation than floral form, which seems to evolve fast and parallel/converge with other species in response to pollinator selection.

10. ZWUM

It's with longiflorum! I didn't know that I thought eb and picturatum were synonymous

11. seidenfaden

seidenfaden Well-Known Member

Your final image looks very much like Bulbophyllum corolliferum.which is quite variable, especially in the colour of the flowers.
    Scape 7- 10cm long with 12 or more flowers. Dorsal sepal to 7mm long, hooded, suddenly narrowed to a slender tip, edged coarsely
    purple-hairy; lateral sepals 1cm to 1.2cm long, 3mm wide, upper edges joind from near the base to the blunt tips, the whole curved so as to form almost a quadrant of a circle when seen from the side. Petals a little shorter than the dorsal sepal,similarly fringed. Lip apex normally tipped yellow.

Your first images show flowers that look similar to B.eberhardtii, but seem to lack the robustness of that species. I know that this species is considered to be a synonym of B. longiflorum. Perhaps we can seperate your species against B.longiflorum by comparing the lateral sepals of B.longiflorum which are connate with the lower edges forming a common slender blade for the greater part more or less parallel edges, only narrowing quite near the bipartite lip. Staying with longiflorum, the pustules towards the tips of the hooded dorsal and the pustules towards the tips of the petals make for a more positive identification, hope this helps.

12. ZWUM

Thanks! You know your bulbos!