Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum binnendijkii

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by tenman, Jul 11, 2019.

1. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

My third of this species. The first two I got in as imports had no roots, one leaf, and died in short order. About three years ago, finally got one with two leaves and some roots. It bloomed a year later, a much fuller umbel, with 8 or 9 flowers, then took last year off. This year, it had two spikes and I waited for the second one to open before snapping pics, but the first had faded by then. This is a LARGE umbel, about 9" across, the flowers are huge. It's in a 12" tray in large CHC & sponge rock. Grown high in the GH for maximum light and kept wet. It is an amazing sight in person!!

binnendijkiiabove0619.jpg binnendijkiiplant0619.jpg binnendijkiiside0619.jpg

W. Malewa, DanaRaluca, Pawpaw and 3 others like this.
  2. RustyExotics

RustyExotics Nicholas - It's a terrestrial thing

I've got several of these that have been growing since little seedlings. Hopefully they'll bloom in the next few years, too!

I never realized the umbel on these could get so large. Just makes this species ever more amazing.

3. Pitter

Pitter Member

Very striking. Do all those flowers eminate from a single stem?

4. tenman

tenman Well-Known Member

Yes, it's an umbel type inflorescence, just like the smaller-flowered 'cirrhopetalum' types.

5. Bernard McDonald

Bernard McDonald Active Member

Bulbophyllum binnendijkii is now considered to be a synonym of Bulbophyllum virescens.