Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum basisetum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by KellyW, Feb 25, 2018.

1. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

First blooming under my care.
    This came to me as B. mearnsii but based on the length of the inflorescence I believe it to be basisetum. I welcome opinions.

It looks like it should have a foul odor but I don't detect anything.
    Grown medium bright light, intermediate temps. For scale, it is in a 4 inch pot.

Bulbophyllum mearnsii-900.jpg Bulbophyllum mearnsii plant-900.jpg Bulbophyllum mearnsii back-900.jpg Bulbophyllum mearnsii detail-600.jpg Bulbophyllum mearnsii lip-700.jpg

jai, Mikhail kujawa, wpinnix and 2 others like this.
  2. Kipper

Kipper CoffeeCoffeeCoffee... Supporting Member

Excellent, love the color. Great shots to, especially the rear view! Thanks for sharing Kelly

3. John Klinger

John Klinger Active Member Supporting Member

Good blooming Kelly. Mine just finished blooming and ready to repot. Mine is labeled as mearnsii.

4. KellyW

Thanks, John.
    How long was the inflorescence on yours?
    The inflorescence on mine is about 3". The flower is about 2.25" (55 mm) across. The minimal information I have found so far has the inflo. on mearnsii much longer (up to 22") and the flowers half this size. So far I haven't found the original description. I'll keep looking.

5. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Thats fancy!

6. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Hi Kelly,

It looks to me to be Bulb. recurvilabre based on the recurved lip apex and lateral sepals which often cross. The flowers of Bulb. recurvilabre are variably coloured, with both spotted as well as striped colour forms.

Wally Suarez [2011] comments that Bulb. basisetum has a bristle at the posterior base of the lip appendages and the absence of papillae on the mid-lobe. He adds that it has a shiny purple peduncle, the shiny flowers are up to 8.5 cm long, dorsal sepal 4.5x1.1cm, lateral sepals 6 cm long, reflexed petals 2x0.6cm long, with lip close to 2 cm long with 1.2 cm mid-lobe.

Reference: Suarez, W. (2011) ."Preliminary Studies in the Bulbophyllum nymphopolitanum (section Lepidorhiza) Complex in the Philippines." Malesian Orchid Journal, 7: 105-116.

I hope that helps.

Gary

7. jai

jai Orchid addict

I just love a good bulbo congrats on they bloom. I'm curious does it have a scent of any kind?

8. Ybane94

Ybane94 Active Member

His orange and red color are wonderfull! Great blooming Kelly

9. KellyW

Thank you, Gary. I appreciate the information and the source.

Jacob, no fragrance that I could detect.

Thank you