Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bulbophyllum aggregatum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, May 13, 2017.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I purchased this as Bulbophyllum horizontale via Madagascar import of Louisiana Orchid Connection in March 2017 (a couple month ago). But it is obviously miss-ID'd. I went through the keys in Field Guid to the Orchids of Madagascar by Cribb and Hermans (in a hacky way). Information about Bulbophyllum (and orchids in general) from Madagascar is scarce, so I couldn't find many photos/illustrations/information of species listed in the field guide. But I think it is in section Ploiarium. Am I correct? It seems to be somewhat similar to B. aggregatum. The brief description in the field guide seems to be similar to this plant. Can anyone help me identify this species? Or if you know a good literature (website, books, primary literature) about Bulbophyllum from Madagascar, or a good person to contact, I would love to know.

[​IMG]
    Bulbophyllum cf. aggregatum
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

[​IMG]
    on Flickr

The leaf is about 3-4cm long, the inflorescence is about 1.5-2cm.

Marni, piotrm, wpinnix and 1 other person like this.
  2. Mikhail kujawa

Mikhail kujawa Well-Known Member

Very nice, Naoki! I've never seen this one before. Thank you for sharing.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

I like it, especially the plant. Thanks for the post.

4. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

WOW amazing pictures!

5. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thanks, any opinion about the ID, Piotr?

Yes, the flower is inconspicuous. I didn't notice for a while that the flowers were open. I'm wondering how the brand-new pseudobulbs look like. The angular shape is mentioned as a feature of P. aggregatum. I just got it and flowered, so I haven't seen a new pseudobulb.

6. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

This is not aggregatum which has very different spike. I was looking everywhere I know, but unfortunately didn't find much. I have a book about madagascan orchids - by Clare Hermans, David Du Puy, Jean Marie Bosser, Johan Hermans, and Phillip Cribb with hundreds species listed but the book is the worst ever overpriced piece of shi... I ever bought, gives exactly nothing beside location and synonyms of the plant...
    The most similar to yours I found was Bulbophyllum jackyi - mean spike & flower but this one has one leaf and different habit of growing, so its not this one either...
    other guess even closer is Bulbophyllum peyrotii but again not exact..

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  7. piotrm

piotrm Well-Known Member

8. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thank you for looking into the ID, Piotr! And good to know that the book isn't worth getting.

B. jackyi is kind of interesting (only unifoliate species in this section). After looking up the info about B. jackyi, I decided to contact the author who described this species. I hope I hear back from him.

Also, thank you for the link to species list of the section Ploiarium. I checked a couple, but frequently there isn't any illustration or photos online. So it will be a slow process.

9. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Just as an update. I contacted Dr. Gunter Fischer, who studied taxonomy of Madagascar Bulbophyllum and described B. jackyi. He thinks that the identification of Bulbophyllum aggregatum is correct. I thought that others (maybe Tin and John of LOC, too) who got this from LOC import might be interested in this info.

Kelly or Marni, can you remove "cf." from the title?

10. Chris.c147

Chris.c147 Well-Known Member

Wow, this is amazing! I am a sucker for Bulbophyllum species. I'm going to have to contact John at LOC to see if he has any of these available.

11. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Chris, I think their pre-order seems to be still open. They said that they will close it at the end of May, so you might have 2 more days!