Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Browse by specific genus now available

Discussion in 'Forum News' started by Brent W, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Brent W

Brent W Owner Staff Member

I wanted to let you know about a new feature we have available now. You can now browse by a specific genus of Orchid. To do so we now have a link in our navigation above and also a link on our forum home page at the top of the list.

The specific link to access this is here: http://www.orchidsforum.com/tags/

Furthermore, this announcement: http://www.orchidsforum.com/threads/thread-titles-and-abbreviations.11024/ was made because all new threads that you create, will be automatically indexed as long as you use the correct genus in the title. No work needed on your end!

The last feature is that while browsing threads, when someone types the name of the genus in a post, it will automatically be linked, so that you can be taken directly to more topics related to that specific genus.

We have a lot more ideas in the work and will be expanding this to include a lot more useful information on the genus page. I hope you all enjoy this and I welcome any input you have on how we might make this more useful to you :)

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

There are probably a few bugs to be worked out. So if you see something that isn't working quite right while using the tags, please let us know.

3. ZWUM

ZWUM Bulbophiliac Staff Member

Just noticed the feature was added to the Tapatalk app but it doesn't work. Clicking on the link opens up an error page in your web browser. Here are the two pages preceding the error.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348839653.950641.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348839663.665181.jpg

4. Brent W

Will look into that.

5. ZWUM

Great thanks Bret. I do really enjoy the option and it has worked quite well when viewing the forum through my browser

6. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

One question--Are we going to follow the new genus names by Kew/RHS? or members will be free to use the old or new names when they post here?

7. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

In some cases people put both/all names in the thread title. If that is the case it could be found under any of the names but I don't know that they can be cross linked. Taxonomy is a moving target. I don't jump on the KEW bandwagon very often and some of us are just slow learners. I'm not going to go out and check if this is the latest published name, I'm lucky if I check the spelling. I think of this as something to benefit and not to restrict. and that more rules on this would be one more barrier to posting.

What do you and other members think?

8. Tom-DE

Tom-DE Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I am with you, Marni, and I love that statement on Taxonomy.

There is a forum that requires members to post with the KEW names only. WTF! and I just don't sit right if someone keep shouting out the KEW names on my threads.

9. ZWUM

I agree as well. Having to look up up the proper name may discourage posts and cause some confusion if your looking for a plant that is know in the hobby by its old name. Like Laelia fourneri for example, most users would unlikely search for Cattleya fourneri. Having a the guide lines that suggest using the full name of a species should be beneficial and, I'm assuming, make it easier to categorize.

10. Zack

Zack Will work for plants Supporting Member

Are regular forum users able to tag posts? If so, that could help if we pitched in to tag threads with relevant synonyms of the species (I'm assuming that this new function is working with tags).

11. Brent W

The issue with TapaTalk is now fixed.

12. Brent W

Regular members do not. The reason so far is that we really want to control what is tagged.