Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bratonia

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Mary, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Mary

Mary New Member

Hi all,

I am a novice at growing orchids. I just got this Bratonia and I am pretty sure it is planted in the wrong medium and the medium is very wet. This is day 3 and the medium is still pretty wet. I went online (repotme.com) and bought their Oncedium Imperial Orchid mix and their FEEDME fertilizer. I don't know if I should repot it now or wait until the flowering period is over. It might be a while because the last flower just open.
    Here are some pictures.
    Any help is welcome.

Attached Files:

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hi, Mary. The plant looks very healthy and the flowers are beautiful. However, the medium does look highly decomposed to the point that I can't tell what it was composed of. My suggestion ... try to slip the plant out of the pot without disturbing the roots or medium. If you can do this you could inspect the roots and medium below the surface layer. If the roots are brown and mushy repot now. If the roots are white/green and firm you could wait until the flowers finish. I can't speak from personal experience how the flowers would react to being repotted now.

Another less invasive way to inspect the roots are the drain holes at the bottom of the pot. Are there any roots coming out of the drain holes? If there are and they look healthy you could probably wait for the blooming to finish. The medium can be inspected minimally through these holes also.

3. Mary

Mary New Member

I was able to take it out of the pot and this is what I found. The roots look a bit brown and the medium is potting soil. It smells like it too. Here are some pictures of the roots.

Attached Files:

4. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Hopefully others will speak up but here is my opinion...
    It could be worse and everything could be mush so don't despair. Being in potting soil I would guess that the roots further inside, away from the pot, will be dead or dying. Personally I would repot now to maintain the health of the plant. I suspect the flowers will do OK and the plant will certainly thank you.

I don't know what the Oncidium Imperial Orchid Mix looks like but you medium should be airy and well drained. Good luck.

5. Mary

Mary New Member

Thank you for your help! I will repot it in a couple of days when the medium arrives. I will post pictures and let you all know what happens with the flowers.

6. carl

carl Active Member

That looks like a peat/perlite mix. Good especially for drier environments, like home windowsills. It won't need water very often - take it to the sink and soak it real well, then note how heavy the pot feels. When it feels light again, it needs water again.

I know of several growers that use this kind of medium with good success. You just have to understand how it works compared to bark-based mixes.

annabanana1987 likes this.
  7. Mary

Mary New Member

Hi Carl! What do you think about the roots? It worries me to see them brown looking. The roots outside the medium are thinner and look green and white.
    Thank you!

8. czpana

czpana Member

Some commercial orchids come with peat/perlite mix like Carl mentioned. This works really well with oncidiums, brassias, miltonoips and other intergenics. Specially in drier environments. Personally I would just poke holes on the sides of the plastic pot and let it dry till its light. The plant is healthy. Repot when the flowers drop. Or just leave it out of the plastic pot so it can dry faster

9. Mary

Mary New Member

I left it out of the pot and it is working. The medium is drying a bit and some roots are changing color. They seem to be getting lighter in color. I will not repot it then, but I might need some advise on how to water/how often. This medium is not going to allow water to go through the pot. How much water should I use? Here is another pix of the roots now.

10. carl

carl Active Member

I think that color is just stain from the peat.

The real question is: Are the roots squishy? If so, they're dead. If firm, they're probably healthy.

11. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Mary, plant looks healthy and pot has enough space for as minimum one more year growth. End of July - August is the worst time for reporting. Also, I would not take plant from the pot for the next few months for root inspection to not stress them. Just be patient and wait for the next spring & new growth emerging to report in media of your preference.

Mary likes this.
  12. Mary

Mary New Member

The roots are not squishy. I think the plant is healthy like you guys say.
    I will enjoy it worry free!! Thank you all!