Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Brassavola nodosa 'Minnie Mouse'

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Harvey south florida z10b, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Harvey south florida z10b

Harvey south florida z10b Active Member

image.png
    Brassavola species like this one, and most all Br. hybrids grow very easy here. This could be the best place on the planet, not counting natural habitat, to grow species and hybrids of brassavolas. I have them everywhere. I have minnie's for trade if there are any takers...

DanaRaluca, Mikhail kujawa and Kipper like this.
  2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Quite a plant you have there.

3. Shell

Shell New Member

4. Shell

Shell New Member

Hi Harvey,
    Are you still interested in trading for a division of your Brassavola Minnie Mouse? I was wondering where you originally got the plant, and what is the largest length the leaves grow. I have a Neostylis Lou Sneary "Bluebird" I recently purchased that is way too big for my small area (and grows roots like a weed!) Plus what I believe is an Oncidium Tsiku Marguerite (it was mislabeled as a Red Twinkle.) I just joined to ask you!

5. Harvey south florida z10b

Yes, I have a variety of sizes.
    I don't remember where, I have had it a long time. The plant with the most light has leaves up to 4" averaging 3 1/2. Less sun longest is around 3 1/2" average 3.

Thank you for joining just to ask! Will the Neostylis accept vanda culture, not potted? I have created a monoculture here that works for me. Vandas grow well here. Can I give it a vanda culture, not potted, watered daily?

Because we are lucky with a very large menu of orchids, I care for orchids that will thrive in my monoculture. Which means Lots of mounted plants and clay pots with lava rock only.

6. Shell

Shell New Member

Yes...the Neostylis is basically a mini vanda. It would prefer your culture...it's only in a pot because I don't have your humidity. I believe it doesn't need quite as much light as a vanda, it gets purple spots when lights good enough, and it blooms a few times a year. ( it had 3 spikes last time!) And smells awesome because of the Neofinetia parent ( Japanese mini vanda, this plant is a bit larger medium size). I think I could mail it just in a plastic bag with some medium in it to keep some moisture since I'd like to keep my plastic pot you won't need. The plants have to be sent priority mail to get there in a few days. Do you have any not mounted? I grow in pots.

7. Shell

Shell New Member

8. Harvey south florida z10b

Hi Shell. Please send me your contact info. I have a couple of pics I want to send you. Thanks, Harvey

9. Shell

Shell New Member

Is there a way to send you my info privately like on Facebook? Or do I have to post my email publicly? I need to send you pics too!

10. wpinnix

wpinnix William Pinnix

Clock on the person's avatar (image next to name) and there is a link to 'start a conversation' and you can communicate privately

Shell likes this.
  11. Shell

Shell New Member

Thanks!

12. DarleneJay

DarleneJay Well-Known Member

Shell, I have sent a few vanda types to live with Harvey.

They are all much happier with him. I try not to get jealous. ;)

13. Shell

Shell New Member

I figured it would love Florida...that said...those Neostylis Lou Sneary plants are super easy. The only reason I'm trading is because I didn't realize how many roots they send out everywhere until I saw a few older plants online. Mine is on a windowsill in lower humidty with a small Sansi grow light, and is growing fast. I have a few Neofinetias which are also easy, but much smaller. My plant will like Harvey's yard even more!

14. Shell

Shell New Member

15. Harvey south florida z10b

Thanks Darlene! I will give it a try and hope for the best.

16. Shell

Shell New Member

I just had to mention that I got my Brassavola Nodosa "Minnie Mouse" from Harvey, and as a person who has worked many of the Santa Barbara International shows in sales, making displays, and hanging around judging, and I've also worked in a few greenhouses...Harvey's Brassavola he sent me in a trade is an award worthy chunk of orchid! Those lucky people in Florida and Hawaii have the perfect conditions. My trade plant will be a happy camper!

17. Harvey south florida z10b

Shell, Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you like minnie! I got a good trade too. My first Neostylis. A very nice and healthy plant.