Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

brassavola 'Little Stars'

Discussion in 'Orchid Hybrids' started by Harvey south florida z10b, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Harvey south florida z10b

Harvey south florida z10b Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_1c80.jpeg
    Currently when near this plant it lures you closer...

Alison and RustyExotics like this.
  2. Alison

Alison Member

The plant looks fantastic,thriving in that position.

3. Harvey south florida z10b

I believe if us humans showed up another million years later, brassavola would have found their way here. They can be mounted on trees with ease. Our running joke at our society is if you can't grow brassavola get another hobby.

One of my first orchids 25 years ago was a brassavola nodosa. I mounted it on a post facing me instead of the morning sun. It struggled for a year or 2 until it grew around the post into the sun and flowered. I'm a slow learner but the orchid showed me the way.

I have them growing in many spots in the yard. Now they are budding . When they bloom I'll get some shots...

4. Alison

Alison Member

I have mostly Dendrobiums and am just a novice orchid grower so if you say they are almost impossible to kill that's good enough for me .Will try and find a nice one. Look forward to seeing the pictures of your plants in bloom Harvey.

5. Harvey south florida z10b

Alison, A big part of what makes them easy to grow is my location. As I indicated above. So where are you?

6. Alison

Alison Member

I'm in northern NSW Australia; warm temperate is probably the best description. About an hour, roughly, from the coast so it is a bit hotter and also a bit colder than the coastal areas here. I do have some shrubs and small trees for some shade and protection.

7. Harvey south florida z10b

Isn't that zone tropical? What are your yearly high and low temperatures? First guess is they will thrive there. Either tie them to a tree to get morning sun or in a pot with good drainage potted on top of the material not in it. Held by a rhizome clip. You might need help the first time on potting.
    On all orchids best is to mimic nature. This plant likes to get wet in the morning and dry out before the next watering. Mine are mounted or potted in a clay pot with lava rock. Watered daily. Orchids take frequent feeding too.

8. Alison

Alison Member

Well some would say that areas such as Lismore; northern NSW, and the coastal fringe running south to around Yamba on the coast could be considered sub-tropical to warm temperate. (There is remnant rain forest around Lismore and one of the last remaining remnants of littoral rainforest, in NSW; south from Lismore ,at Illuka on the coast. )So the coastal areas are much milder . I am west of a town called Grafton.
    My temperatures are more extreme even though I am relatively close to the coast. Very high Spring and Summer temperatures. We have already had a day in the 40's celsius which is over 100 farenheit.....this is Sring! The summer temps are brutal. Additionally this last winter we had several days below zero and frosts are not uncommon.
    Thanks for the information on growing these. Now you may think I am crazy to try.

9. Harvey south florida z10b

Not crazy to try. But you will be challenged. Brassavolas away from it's environment will no longer be easy. They will need protection from your extremes. I like easy orchids. Are there orchid species that are worth collecting that grow in your area? A hybrid that has some local species in it will help. Also seek other successful growers in your area. See if there are any local orchid clubs. The local growers are your best source of growing info.
    The extremes here are rare highs in the upper 90's. But usually a little less. And rarely frost. Once every 10 or 12 years. But normal winters some upper 40's. And lots of humidity. We get 65 to 70 inches of rain a year.
    You will need to protect against the extremes. Best of luck. Keep us posted.

10. Alison

Alison Member

Yes that is why I have mainly Dendrobium crosses from Australia some from Asia and so forth...they are still alive. Good advice though thanks.
    I am trying to get to the local orchid club unfortunately they have evening meetings and it is difficult for me to attend.
    Coelogyne grow fairly well; I also have a few Cattlyas/BLC like a lot of people I guess. I have just got some Stanhopea (trigrina; costaricensis and negroviolaceae ) I really hope the divisions will be ok . I did grow some before on the coast. Other orchidsI have flowered here are Zygopetalum; I really love their perfume.
    Thanks again for all your good advice Harvey.

11. Harvey south florida z10b

With your inventory of different orchids I am encouraged that you can grow brassavola. Your Blc has some in it too.
    Still call the people in control of the orchid club. Ask if there is anybody you can meet for a discussion or 2. They won't say no. An experienced orchid grower in your micro-clime will be by far the best advice. If you make the effort you will be rewarded!

12. Alison

Alison Member

Yes I will it's the best way to learn as you say. Have a great day Harvey.

13. Harvey south florida z10b

fullsizeoutput_1c84.jpeg
    This Little Stars is root bound and locked in. But it is happy and will allow me an occasional division.
    fullsizeoutput_1c85.jpeg
    This Little stars is thriving on a palmetto tree along with several other orchids...
    fullsizeoutput_1c87.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1c8b.jpeg
    All Little stars. And several more not shown. The aroma around the house at night is pleasant...

Attached Files:

Alison likes this.