Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bolusiella maudiae

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by naoki, Jan 6, 2019.

1. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

I got this from Afri Orchids of South Africa in Spring 2018. It is the first bloom for me (Nov 23, 2018).

It is a small genus and here is the artificial key (link). According to this page, the lateral sepal should have a basal pouch-like outgrowth. I'm not completely sure what this means (I need to dissect the flower next time), but I think that B. maudiae seems to be the match (I'm not 100% sure, though). Gilles has one posted here, and they look somewhat similar.

I appreciate any information about the ID.

It is a tiny plant, the thick leaf is about 2.5cm (1") long. The flowers are tiny, too, so I had to crop quite a bit.

I'm growing it at the cool-end of intermediate; max/min daily temperature of 29/18C (84/65F) in the summer and 21/13C (70/55F) in the winter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DPfarr, GaryYG, Nisanisa and 3 others like this.
  2. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Nice one! The plant looks a lot like Angraecum aloifolium with pointier leaves.

naoki likes this.
  3. leo

leo African orchids only :-)

Nice plant! I agree, this looks like maudiae.

Here is a revision paper about the genus Bolusiella by Verlynde from 2013. It includes a plate with photos of the flowers of all the Bolusiella species. Check the shape of the spur. I think it is quite characteristic

naoki likes this.
  4. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link to the paper, leo! I'll check it out.

5. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

I think the "basal pouch-like outgrowth" in the key is a reference to the green spur at the base of the lip. Your plant seems to me to be correct for Bolusiella maudiae.

6. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

Mine has been projecting a spike perpendicular to the plant for sometime now. I’m interested to compare all the information here as I likely have a sib or even division of the same plant.

naoki likes this.