1. Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bletia patula

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Sue, May 31, 2010.

1. Sue

Sue Evil Genius

Bloom is very similar in size and appearance to a Bletilla, but opens further. The more rounded petals give it a bit more 'cuddliness' in a way—a bit more of a teddy bear look. Blooming semi-successively.

I've read some places that it's terrestrial, and others that it's epiphytic or lithophytic. My guess is that is depends on the climate. Mine is in pro-mix and perlite.

The full-plant picture looks strange. I had trouble correcting for all the black in the background and the bleaching-out of the flower, so it looks a bit flat.

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4064_4641701143_f5d1785ec4_m.jpg

afarm5.static.flickr.com_4054_4655839923_703b7a308d_m.jpg

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is a choice species. Thanks for the introduction to it.

3. Brant

Brant dazed

i like the first pic - nice shape and coloring

4. lupot1812

lupot1812 New Member

Bletia patula is native to Puerto Rico, her it grows in the north in the Karst Region and in the South in the Serpentinite Region in The South. In the south they grow as terrestrials, in the north they grow lithophytic on Lime Stone. They bloom mostly in November and December, but you cansee some flowering in other months in the year. I grow them in a terrestrial mix with a lot of organic matter. They grow like weeds. If any of you have a chance to visit Puerto Rico in the blooming season of Bletia, visit the North, YOU CAN SEE HUNDREDS OF THEM IN BLOOM ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!!!!!!!!

5. EGOISTA

EGOISTA Member

Oh it's so pretty,I don't mind it, this specie is very difficult to buy in Italy, I think I look for it in e-bay. May you tell us how do you grow it? like a Bletilla?