Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Bifrenaria vitellina

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by CoveLady, Jul 2, 2017.

1. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

I have had this orchid for a great many years, unfortunately it is not dated in my records but over 20 years. It grew fine just not really vigorously. fullsizeoutput_217.jpeg

I repotted it in April and moved it from a plastic pot to the mesh pot. I had hoped that it would stimulate it to grow and become a more vigorous plant, but that has not happened. I searched the web for info and adjusted it's potting medium and environment but I don't see any new roots or any other form of growth.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to adjust it's culture to make it happier, I don't want it to go to the great greenhouse in the sky.

2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Anita, I can't help with the culture but I corrected the spelling in the title. Hope you don't mind.

3. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Thank you Kelly, I didn't know it was spelled wrong. I'll have to go out and look at the tag. My records still have it listed as Stenochoryne vitellina, that was what it was called when I bought it. Some time or other the name was changed.

4. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I haven't grown this species, but the image on ISOPE makes me want to. I would try a warmer, wetter summer with a good amount of fertilizer. Perhaps you could put the net pot inside a plastic pot to maintain humidity during the growing season (now). Then in the fall, remove the plastic pot to let it dry more between waterings. Some Bifrenaria species are painfully slow growers, especially until they hit a critical mass.

5. CoveLady

CoveLady Active Member

Thanks Marni, they definitely are slow growers. I'll try the warmer, wetter and put I'll put the net pot inside a plastic pot, probably put it outside where it is proably a bit warmer and we shall see how it goes. I really like this plant and don't want to loose it.