Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Barkeria whartoniana dormancy

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by goods, Mar 17, 2016.

1. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

This question is for the folks who have successfully taken this species out of its winter dormancy. Do you all treat this one similar to a Catasetum where you continue to refrain from watering until there are decent sized roots growing, or do you begin watering once you see the new growths begin to initiate?

I can see 1/2" new growths on most of my canes, but I've held back the temptation to water until I get some kind of confirmation. Thanks for your help!

2. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I try to ease mine into the rainy season. First an occasional splash of water or misting and then increase over the next month or so until I am watering everyday by early May.
    some people wait until they see green root tips.

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Ooops, I didn't realize these were supposed to have a dormancy :oops:. I watered mine all winter and it is beautiful with new growth and active root growth. It never lost any leaves. It is a seedling so is probably not BS yet. I guess if it was blooming size my culture would have kept it from blooming.

4. goods

goods Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I kept mine in my tank all winter, so it experience high humidity and I'm sure a bit of overspray. The last leaf or two fell off of mine around December/January, so it held them for a good while.

How small is yours, Kelly? My plant is probably only 4" tall and produced a short spike this year, so it may bloom sooner than you expect.

5. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Zach, mine is only about 2" tall. The new growth is hard to see in this photo but is in front and slightly left of the old growth. The root growth has been impressive.

Barkeria whartoniana.jpg

Kipper likes this.