Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Back from Papua New Guinea.

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by spiro K., Nov 8, 2019.

1. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

Spent two weeks in the highlands of New Guinea (mount Hagen and mount Wilhelm).
    It was another OCA trip. Came back with over 400 pictures . Its going to be difficult to pick just a few to share with you, but I'll try!
    I dont have ID's for a lot of them (down to species anyway), and it will be months before I can
    work on them, but I figured maybe some of you Dendrobium and Bulbophyllum experts can help! There were quite a few genera that were complletely unknown to me (Glossorhyncha,Octarrhena etc.)
    Anyway, here they are.
    Dendrobium dekockii ,Bulbophyllum sp.Bulbophyllum sp., ?. ,Bulbophyllum sp.,Bulbophyllum sp.
    png 1 651 (640x427).jpg png 1 282 (427x640).jpg png 1 171 (427x640).jpg png 1 168 (427x640).jpg png 1 101 (367x550).jpg png 1 749 (427x640).jpg png 1 749 (427x640).jpg

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    weeand, Foozil, wpinnix and 1 other person like this.
  2. rico

rico Active Member

Wow great pictures and great finds! Aside from the first dendrobium, I've never seen anything like the rest!

3. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, Spiro that must have been an amazing trip. I hope you post more photos.

That 4th photo (lobed leaves with the small orange flowers) is amazing. Was it a miniature?

4. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

We found it on the way down from Mt.Wilhelm. It is a miniature (aprox. 4" total )

5. Foozil

Foozil Member

Fantastic finds, I looove photos of PNG orchids in situ! Have spent many hours looking at them. Would be great to go up one day. Thanks for posting

6. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Wow, fantastic! That would be a dream of many orchid growers!

7. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

...and an Oberonia colony . png 1 748 (683x1024).jpg

KellyW, wpinnix, DPfarr and 1 other person like this.