Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Aspro

Discussion in 'Orchid Culture' started by Pawpaw, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Pawpaw

Pawpaw Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Has anyone used Aspro when fertilising there orchids.
    I have a friend here in Australia that swears by it. He adds it to his fertiliser mix once a month. Anyone know the benefits.
    He has given me a bos of them but I haven’t tried it yet.
    At the moment I am away for three weeks but I get home I will look into it more and add to any info I get here on the forum.
    Thanks
    Pawpaw

2. spiro K.

spiro K. Active Member

never heard of it. I wonder what it is?

3. Roberta

Roberta Member

Googled it... it's Acetylsalicylic Acid (otherwise known as Aspirin) . Don't know what it could possibly do for orchids.

4. sam1147

sam1147 sam1147

I add Aspirin to my fertilizer for a long time.Not sure if it helps orchids like it helps myself ;) .In any case it does not hurt them .....

5. Ray

Ray Orchid Iconoclast Supporting Member

Salicylic acid has been shown to be a mild root-growth stimulant, and some have extended that property to aspirin, whether true or not.

I believe there is some psychology to plant culture involved here.

Most folks aren’t very reliable about their culture. Watering and feeding, for example, can be very “hit or miss” - well done, underdone, or overdone, without regard to the plants’ growth patterns or the conditions. The plants do “OK”. Then they get something new - fertilizer, additive, humidifier, RO system, etc. - and they pay extra attention to their plants, making sure everything is “right”. The plants grow well due to the care given, but the mind naturally attributes it to the new thing. “That stuff is fantastic!”.