Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Ascocentrum christensonianum

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by pcolman, Mar 22, 2019.

1. pcolman

pcolman Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm not sure why this plant is so purple-red. When I got it, it was green. All of it turned this color within a few months of getting it, even the parts that are shaded by other leaves. I have several other vandaceous plants in hanging baskets near it, and none did anything like this. Neither did the Ascocentrum ampullaceum var. aurantiacum I have that gets similar light levels. I does make for plenty of contrast between the light colored flowers and the leaves.

The flowers are about 1/2" wide and unscented, and the entire plant is about a foot tall. There are six spikes; the four growing from the two basal keikis are pretty crowded. Based on photos online, it seems pretty normal that the anther caps turn brown.

Ascocentrum christensonianum.jpg Ascocentrum christensonianum flowers_01.jpg Ascocentrum christensonianum flowers_02.jpg Ascocentrum christensonianum closeup_01.jpg Ascocentrum christensonianum closeup_02.jpg

Chuck-NH, GaryYG, Gerrit and 2 others like this.
  2. KellyW

KellyW Orchid wonk Staff Member Supporting Member

The plant and flowers are beautiful. Nicely done.

I have some NBS Renanthera monachica seedlings that have turned that same color.

3. DanaRaluca

DanaRaluca Active Member

Beautiful flowers! And I love the read leaves, too!

4. Javier Comesanas

Javier Comesanas New Member

Amazing

5. Harvey south florida z10b

Harvey south florida z10b Active Member

This plan grows warm too hot.The color red might be too cold. In the mid 60's might be too cold. Just from what I read. I love the flowers.

6. RustyExotics

RustyExotics - Nicholas

I have a Renanthera that looks very similar color-wise. I've noticed that some species tend to be more sensitive to light levels, producing more anthocyanins at lower levels. Not too confident on the biochemistry behind it.

Anyways, I'm loving the pink-purple/red contrast! That's beautiful.

7. pcolman

It's already in the warmest spot I can give it in winter. It will just have to make do. Aside from the color change, root and leaf growth are good, and it flowers decently, so it doesn't seem too unhappy.

I had a Ren. monachica that got decently dark, but not like this. Unfortunately that plant was definitely unhappy with cooler winter temps, and away it went.

8. Harvey south florida z10b

What is the low temperature this plant gets?

9. pcolman

The coldest its gotten is probably in the low 60s, maybe as low as 60 at some point.

10. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

Don’t you also have other plants (such as Restrepia) that are also quite red and grow/bloom extremely well? I don’t grow this species, but have seen quite a few any many seem to have red foliage. I think yours is one of the nicest. Also, the plant on IOSPE has red foliage as well as the plant photo on a Marlow Orchids Website.

11. Harvey south florida z10b

As it is it is stunning! I have plants that the leaves turn red without issue. I have had other plants turn red that were affected by cold. I hope yours is doing a natural thing as opposed to stress.

12. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

A friend grows this in intermediate (56-58 minimum night) temperatures and gets fantastic bloomings.

13. Harvey south florida z10b

Hi Marni. Does the leaves turn red?

14. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Nice! I know you grow under LEDs, but do you know the color temp (you mentioned it, but I forgot)?

15. pcolman

The COBs are 4000K, 95 CRI Luminus CXM-32 Gen3. Aside from the "high light area" on the side, 5 fixtures running at about 55% intensity, and I still think I'll drop it down to 50%.

16. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thanks, I don't find the exact spectrum of that model, but it is unlikely that 4000K 95CRI has excessive blue. In some plants, excessive blue/UV induces defense mechanisms.

17. pcolman

Since the COBs I requested for my lights was special order (over a 2 month wait), they did testing before shipping, and included various spectrums from the results:

original.png ppfd.png
    ypfd.png
    Color temp is actually 4105K and CRI is 96, though I doubt anyone could tell the difference.

18. naoki

naoki Well-Known Member

Thanks, it isn't blue heavy at all (as expected from high CRI 4100K), so I don't think it is the reason for the purple coloration (it does look cool in that way!). It seems to use red and green types of phosphors. I was puzzled about the plot tiles a little, but the top one is the normal SPD (spectral power distribution) where the unit is watt, the second one is converted to number of photons, then the last one is the product of the second plot and the black line (McCree curve). I guess they are calling PPFD and YPFD (D for density) for the second and third because they calculated this from a point measure at a given distance (instead of integrating sphere).