Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angreacum species

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Marni, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

Though I've had it for 6 years, this is the first time I've bloomed it. Another Malala plant that I tried growing mounted until it almost died. A couple years ago I put it in a net pot still attached to the mount in a fine bark mix and set that into a plastic pot. Here are a number images of the flowers. The 2nd to the last is the whole plant shot set inside a ceramic pot. I photographed it just in the net pot, but the roots are so enthusiastic that it rather overwhelmed the plant. It came to me as an unidentified species so I had no idea of the elevation. I've been growing it with 50F nights. For reference, in the last image you can see it growing in the 3" net pot. Any suggestions on name are welcome.

ang.sp.stack.7270.jpg

ang.sp.qtr.7270.jpg

ang.sp.side.7270.jpg

ang.sp.close.7270.jpg

ang.sp.7270.jpg

ang.sp.roots.7270.jpg

2. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

A great "little strong" Angraecum!!!
    Certainly a species in the Section Gomphocentrum, but I don't know which....

3. Torrish

Torrish Active Member

I cannot help with a name but your Lazarus Ang. looks super healthy.

4. Pappa47

Pappa47 Member

Love your 'net' pot idea-the Angreacum also thought that it might work - the rest is history -beaut plant .

5. aerangis

aerangis New Member

Marni, I think you're on to something. At one time I had quite a few wild collected Angraecoids and those that were mounted didn't seem to perk up until potted. When iot was said and done, my experience was similar to yours and all of the plants I grew were eventually potted in plastic pots with either granite/quartzite in the bottom of the pot top dressed with African Violet mix (rupicolus/terrestrial species) or a phaleanopsis mix for species growing in savanna/deciduous forest.

Of course, some species (Aer. Ellisii comes to mind) wouldn't put roots in a pot no matter how inviting it may look to the grower.

6. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

A few months ago I got a humidity system for my main greenhouse. I am sure that would help with growing more of these mounted. I'm also having a major campaign against a major enemy: bush snails. It is like an insurgency. I don't think I'll ever win the war against but I keep winning the battles. That has helped a lot to give me much better roots.

Pappa47, I grow a lot of my plants with the net pot/plastic pot method and they do exceptionally well in most cases.

Aerangis, how large/small are the pieces of granite/quartzite you were using?

7. DPfarr

DPfarr Well-Known Member

The last 2 are like works of art. One displaying the muscle system, the other the skeletal structure. I think it only appears that way to me because of the health of the plant, expertly gone and such.

Marni likes this.