Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecums

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Amy, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Amy

Amy Member

Hello all, its been a while since I have been here but I do have a question regarding some orchids.

I would like to ask about two orchids to see if you would all feel they would be suited to my home.

First off, they would be in our home with a SW exposure that is shaded by blinds in the heat of the day. I live in Canada B.C. the Interior Okanagan Valley where our summer heat is hot hot hot and dry.

I have kept orchids for the past 8 years mainly phals of which I have 2. I use to have more orchids but lost some along the way and I just want a couple to keep me happy. As they say "been there and done that".

So with the question I would like to know Aerangis biloba or Angraecum didieri which of these two would be best suited for my type of growing conditions in the home?

I know the Aerangis come mounted and most of their Angraecums come potted and I am pretty sure the didieri is potted.

I did try years ago the biloba, but at the time they only had seedlings and it did not fare well. These ones they have are flowering size.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time
    Amy:)

2. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Welcome - since you are growing in your home though, it's more useful to know what your inside home environment is like! Both of these do not like it dry...I suspect didieri is more forgiving, but I haven't tested this theory.

3. Amy

Amy Member

Hello, our home environment in the winter months I do keep the house at 40-45% moisture. We don't like anymore than that in the home.

In the summer, we do have central air for when its hot our. Right now we have not had to turn any on as this year has been on the cooler side so far.

These orchids would be where I keep my phals near the front window on a small table. They do not get the hot sun like I mentioned but they do get the window bright light. I have no problems growing and blooming my phals here.

Maybe there is other kinds from these two orchid types that you could suggest would be better suited to our home?

I just want something small that is not going to get big.

I hope this helps answer your question, if not let me know

Thanks
    Amy

4. Karen

Karen Species nut

I would think that Ang. didieri would be more suited to your conditions.
    Why not try both?
    Ang. didieri will grow in a pot, and Aerangis tend to do better mounted.
    Potted will keep more moisture at the roots & help the plant thrive in dry conditions.

5. Amy

Amy Member

Thanks Karen,

I have ordered Angraecum didieri as you said its would be better suited to my conditions. I was also told my a orchid hobbyist that it would do far better in our home as well. I did try biloba quite a few years ago and its a real struggle with it being mounted. The place I am getting the orchid from said all the Aerangis are mounted so that won't work for me as I tried it once. So I will have to let you know how I fare with the didieri, this fellow hobbyist said his is potted and blooms 3 times a year for him. So that is good news for me.

Now I just have to wait till our postal strike is over and then it will be shipped to me. Cannot wait.

Thanks again

6. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Good luck with your plant - it's a great one. I too am waiting for this accursed strike to be over!

7. Amy

Amy Member

Yes this strike should be over soon I hope. Then we will have a back log of mail, gosh I would hate to be the mailman when its over it will take them sometime to get caught up on it all.

Say do you have Angraecum didieri?

:)

8. Amy

Amy Member

Well my Angreacum didieri will be arriving soon I hope. Got the call from the place that is sending it to me and they hope that they can get some of the stuff out by Sunday of this week if the postal strike is over here.

One thing they did mention to me is when I am talking about orchids here where I live to make sure my location is noted as it makes a huge difference when asking for information.

So as I said I live in Canada, B.C. the Sunny Okanagan Valley of Vernon

I would like to ask a question regarding this species and for those of you that have grown and bloomed it maybe you can help along the way.

This plant is blooming size they tell me, its a small plant to begin with so they told me to not expect a huge orchid coming my way.

They have some potted and some mounted and for me I chose the potted as its much easier in our home to keep it well watered and fed this way.

I am going to be placing it next to my 2 phals in a SW window that is shaded in the heat of the day. But still gets good bright light otherwise.

They mentioned their feeding program they have found that works the best here in Canada and that is:

Jan - mid Aug a growing fertilizer of 7-9-5
    mid Aug - Dec a blooming fertilizer of 3-12-6

They don't do the "weak weekly" thing as they have found it just becomes very watered down feedings that have no nutrition for the orchids but they do recommend once a month to do the feedings as notted and the other times just water.

This orchid was potted March 2011 of this year, they are a big nursery of over 10,000 sqft of greenhouse. I have ordered from them before with varied results but never ordered and Angraecum before.

They use Dyna Grow Liquid which our stores do not have here, I was told I would have to go to a hydroponic place to get this fertilizer. They say to never use powder fertilizers only liquid for orchids.

They also said that Shultz's has a lot of salt in their fertilizers? Anyone use this brand? I have in the past with good results on plants but would like to know what you all think.

And lastley, what ingredient in the fertilizer listing is salt?

9. Marni

Marni Well-Known Member Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a number Angraecum didieri (at least that's what the labels say) in bloom right now. I would never recommend DynaGrow to anyone. Whenever I see someone with really well grown plants I always ask about their conditions (including fertilizer). No one has ever said "DynaGrow". I use about 1/5 teaspoon per gallon on my plants. You can just dilute whatever you are using and not pay to ship a lot of water. All those liquid fertilizers started with most or all dry ingredients. I mix 10 gallons of concentrate at a time (from powdered fertilizer), I can plan ahead and dump the powder in water 20 minutes before I intend to use it. I empty the concentrate into the barrel I use to store it and if check to see if there is a little residue left in the mixing container. If there is, I add a couple of cups of hot water and swish it around.

Unless you are growing a large quantity of a particular plant for sale at peak bloom time, I wouldn't vary the fertilizer by season. I use a lower concentration in the dark months when there isn't as much plant growth. I also think it is a good idea to vary brands occasionally to be sure you aren't missing something (especially if you are using purified water). In nature, orchids are getting some nutrients every time it rains. I prefer to fertilize every time I water. It works for me, you can try different ways to find what works in your situtation.

10. Amy

Amy Member

Thanks for your reply. Always nice to hear what others think. I do not have that fertilizer and did not order it either from them only the plant.

May I ask, when you say diluted water do you mean the numbers on the fertilizer?

What brand do you use and what numbers at what time of year?

11. Marni

"You can just dilute whatever you are using and not pay to ship a lot of water. "

Fertilizer usually comes with a suggested rate, frequently 1 tsp per gallon. I meant to say that you can use it more dilute than recommended. How much fertilizer you use has to do with how much your plants can use and that depends on the amount of light, daylight length and temperature. I use approximately 1/5 tsp per gallon spring thru fall of MSU type fertilizer by Greencare designed for reverse osmosis water. That gives a TDS reading between 160 and 200 ppm of total fertilizer (not ppm of nitrogen). It is 13-3-15 formula. Those are the relative proportions of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. I also add some Miracle Gro fertilizer in every mix just because I have it. (I was given a bunch of it.) I use the same ingredients, just a bit more dilute in the winter months. I do fertilize at every watering, that includes the mounted plants that are watered almost every day for most of the year.

I think that if you buy liquid fertilizer, you are buying the dry fertilizer already mixed in water, so you are paying to ship the water as well as the nutrients.

Many years ago I asked one of the very best growers in my area what fertilizer he used. His answer, "Whatever is on sale."

12. Amy

Amy Member

Well tomorrow my Angreaecum didieri arrives tomorrow. The postal strike is over for the time being so I am very excited to get it finally. I have not had to wait long at all just about 3 weeks in a total by the time it gets here so that is not bad at all.

I sure hope once its settled in the home it will bloom for me within the year. Its a blooming size they are sending me so here is keeping fingers crossed.

13. Amy

Amy Member

Well my didieri came today, wow is it small. It has 4 leaves in a 3" pot and this is blooming size....:eek:

I know they are small plants but wow is this really blooming size?

14. Marni

What is the size from leaf tip to leaf tip?

15. Amy

Amy Member

If you are talking about from one leaf tip to the other it is 3 3/4"
    If you are talking about one single leaf from the base of the plant its 2"

16. Marni

Can you post a picture of the plant? It is hard to say without seeing it.

17. Amy

Amy Member

Here is a picture of my didieri, this is what they call blooming size. I just about died when I seen how small it is, the tag that was with it had 2006 on it and when it was repotted with the months and dates on it.

Any opinions?
    New Angraecum didieri.jpg

18. Marni

I certainly wouldn't label it "blooming sized" if I were selling it. I don't even think I would call it "near blooming sized". There are a long series of hard (and sometimes expensive) lessons to learn as an orchid grower. You could try talking to the vendor and send them the picture. Maybe an employee picked it out and shipped it instead of a blooming sized plant. Find out how much others are charging for a blooming sized plant of this species and see how that compares.

19. Amy

Amy Member

I just sent them an email regarding my concern to the size of this plant. I really don't think they will do anything about it but one never knows I guess.

Do you live in Alberta? if so this orchid came from Paramount Orchids there.

20. Alexey

Alexey Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Amy, I have many orchids from Paramount. They are a reliable nursery. What happened with you is not typical. They are going to move in another location and perhaps this causes some issues.