Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecum sesquipedale -- my favorite one

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Reyna, Mar 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

So, I will confess to being a bit of a collector (read hoarder) of sesquipedales. I just love them. This plant, however, has become my favorite. It is still quite young, relatively speaking, but it produces absolutely fantastic flowers. Each one has a natural spread of over 7 inches. This is not a mericlone -- and I hope one day I can get it awarded. It was pulled for AOS judging, and the flower size is easily comparable or better than previous awards, but the flower count is low. One day . . .

angcm sesquipedale Orion5 March 2012 sm.jpg
    angcm sesquipedale Orion5 March 2012 sm.jpg

2. mrbreeze

mrbreeze Anglican Supporting Member

Wow! Hard to beat something like that. Nicely done.

3. JonP

JonP all that Supporting Member

Holy Toledo! That's gorgeous! Great job!!

4. T. migratoris

T. migratoris Active Member

Very nice display. Bravo!

5. Enrique

Enrique Big E

Very nice, Reyna! They are beautiful!

6. Reyna

Reyna Orchid Obsessed Supporting Member

Thanks guys! I love this one. :)

7. theLab

theLab Member Supporting Member

Brilliant Reyna - especially as it is about a clone which doesn´t bend the sepals backwards so much. Instinctively I am grasping after toothpicks :) … but no need as this species was propagated to millions the last years over. Ntl I recommend take pollinia of that plant, especially because it´s a nice clone, leave them on the toothpicks´ tips and freeze them wrapped in a paper as they will keep well in the freezer for years. I would recommend doing that on every orchid which is a nice clone or is especially a rare plant one owns as a single plant only. In the worst case the plant dies off and you all are aware how often and soon that can happen but even in that brutal case you have the genetic fingerprint of the plant conserved.
    I note it in my laboratory, many pods and seeds we receive (about a third) are the product of a self-x, so the chance of the viability is already reduced, mustn’t be but is often to meet. There’s no use to care for a seedbank if one doesn´t sow out oneself or knows a lab she/he trusts in. But a pollenbank can be kept by everyone and should be kept.
    I am really addicted can´t watch orchids without feeling the imagination popping up pollinating them. It´s really weird, my look at an orchid is always to its anther-cap first. This really sounds pathological, I know …

8. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Stunning clone, Reyna! If I had the space I would hoard too, because the shape is so variable with some of these guys!

9. gg68

gg68 Angraecoid addict

A realy great shape Sarah, nice one!!

10. Uluwehi

Uluwehi angraecoids, dendrobiums and more Supporting Member

Gorgeous! Such a beautiful constellation of blossoms and the plant looks beautiful and healthy.

Excellent advice; I feel the same way. I also store pollen for the same reasons.