Welcome to OrchidsForum.com. We are a friendly online community for Orchid Growers all over the world. If you haven't joined yet we invite you to register and join our community. Hope to see you on our forums!

Angraecum popowii?

Discussion in 'Orchid Species' started by Caraxe, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Caraxe

Caraxe New Member

I bought this plant as Angraecum popowii, but the seller was not sure. Anyone can confirm?
    I'm not a fanatic of Angraecum in general but there are great miniatures like this and Angraecum urschianum that is, like a lot of other orchids, almost impossibile to find here in Italy or Europe. Unfortunately Botanical doesn't ship to Europe.
    When this little gem arrived it started immediately to increase roots, then stopped, putting the spike. Indirect light and spring temperatures (21 degrees), I'm afraid for hot temperatures coming. Here in Rome in summer we have more than 36 degrees..I don't know if it will resist. 20210403_133742.jpg 20210403_133819.jpg 20210403_133800.jpg

J E likes this.
  2. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but looks similar to my popowii. My summer temperatures can be up to 36C similar to yours and it does well shady and well-watered.

Caraxe and Alex Shepack like this.
  3. Caraxe

Caraxe New Member

Glad to hear that. Thanks Raven

4. xmpraedicta

xmpraedicta Prairie angraecoid nut Supporting Member

Looks like it. What a rare gem. I’ve been trying (and killing) this species for years.

5. Chuck-NH

Chuck-NH Well-Known Member

This is mine currently in bloom, only mine is not pendant.

BBAD2D54-A8BE-4F61-B81E-68F1AFDACF16.jpeg
    B4A84994-9CDD-4573-B7DD-D61C63A73584.jpeg

GaryYG likes this.
  6. GaryYG

GaryYG Active Member

Plants and flowers of the photos above, seem to agree with the description and photo of Angraecum popowii in Stewart et al., Angraecoid Orchids.

The authors comment "Originally described from a plant imported into Germany with a collection of Jumellea teretifolia by the nurseryman N. Popow after whom it was named. It seems to be very close to Angraecum teretifolium and may prove to be a form of that species when more material has been studied."

Reference: Stewart, J., Hermans, J. & B. Campbell. (2006) Angraecoid Orchids. Timber Press, Portland, Oregon.

J E and Chuck-NH like this.